Saturday 6 June 2020

Count yer Blessings

Again more reflections/virtual Birding...well, I can't find any decent birds at the moment! Hopefully you'll find some interest here?

Looking at my British List whilst transferring records to eBird it suddenly dawned on me what quality I've been lucky enough to see recently. Since October 2018 I've added the birds below. Not bad!!!

WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT - Hornsea Mere 14/10/18
GREY CATBIRD - Lands End 16/10/2018
TENGMALM'S OWL - Mainland, Shetland 27/2/19
PACIFIC SWIFT - Hornsea Mere 10/8/19
BROWN BOOBY - The Lizard 3/9/19
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO - St Mary's, Scilly 16/10/19
HERMIT THRUSH - St Mary's, Scilly 29/11/19
STELLER'S EIDER - Papa Westray, Orkney 3/3/20

I've said it before, (in fact I've probably said most things before by now) it's important in my view to appreciate, yet not dwell on the past. However, reflecting on these recent additions to my British List they are most definitely records to savour!!! It's all to easy to just get dragged along as the years go by, longing for the next "tick". Some of the birds above are particularly poignant. I'll pick 3.

TO  For its almost mythical status and in particular the connection with Spurn...if I dare mention that!


HT  A long anticipated "grip back" after my poor strategy regarding the Porthgwarra bird of  2013. To finally connect on my return from the UAE and on my beloved Scilly was especially sweet...


YBC Just had to be after some previous bad luck over the years including being "stuck" on Scilly when the Porthgwarra (again) bird of 2014 showed up. On reflection I've elevated this bird to No 2 on my "Rush Birds" list. As well as its significance it's just a beautiful bird and thankfully, it was a healthy one!


It's also worth mentioning the 2 MEGA Swifts which both turned up at Hornsea Mere. Very convenient indeed! The SE was more of a relief/endurance test than a thrill, satisfying nonetheless. This period was probably THE most satisfying period of my twitching for many reasons. Have to say I'm content now, sure I'll chase birds in the future depending on species and circumstances but that little chunk of beauties will always have special significance in my book.

The twists and turns of twitching will always hold a fascination for me...

No comments: