Friday 1 September 2023

September

Here it is!

I just thought I'd dot the I's and cross the T's on August. A few notable if low key sightings this week...context and all that.

Huge numbers of Gulls feeding in the freshly turned plough to the North of the Village...


A snatched Whimbrel against the light...


An early morning fresh Willow Warbler...


Mixed Wader flocks heading South including Knot, Dunlin, Sanderling, Ringed Plover and Turnstone...


Somehow more special (at least to me) as few linger in these here parts. So this Redshank on the beach at the Sewage carried more weight...


Flocks of Terns also resting on the beach...


I couldn't find a Roseate unfortunately.

Large rafts of Auks offshore this Year, the most I've seen since moving out here...


There are still some Little Gulls about...


I got lucky at the Sewage when this Yellow Wagtail perched briefly on the wire...


I also discovered a new site for Little Owl at Welwick whilst doing a lap of Humber locations looking in vain for SEO's...

Backlit

This fly-over cc Marsh Harrier was worth the search...


...as was the walk at Sammy's...


Last one in the round up is this smart Drake Common Scoter off the Sewage yesterday afternoon...it casually floated by on the incoming tide...


A Species that passes regularly in flocks of varying numbers...BUT...this one was the closest I've seen one here. Again...making it special.

......................................................................................

The RED-FOOTED BOOBY is still present on the Bishop Rock Lighthouse. At the risk of sounding "smart" I felt it could remain for some time, as it displayed strong territorial traits. They can remain on the Rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off the Texas Coast for long periods. The mild climate in the SW may mean it remains for quite some time yet. I may see it again in October!

The 2 Hurricanes off the East Coast of America have stirred things up early this Autumn. A "flock"! of CLIFF SWALLOWS have arrived in Iceland. There are FIVE present as I write!!! I must keep the expectation in check, although it's nice to have some anticipation, isn't it?

No comments: