Friday 8 September 2023

Local(ish) Twitch

I couldn't manage the BIG ONE but I "needed" a run out yesterday, especially as my neighbour was doing some DIY and the fog was lingering. Where to go?

I wanted to stay in the County; trouble is, it's a BIG County! News came through that the Adult female BROWN BOOBY was still in the Tees Estuary on a Buoy and viewable from South Gare. That'll do I thought...maybe I'll get a closer view and a better pic? A fair hike from here but there you go.

A63 - M62 - A1 - A168 - A19...simple as that?! My decision was enhanced by this news...

12.03: Cleveland Buff-breasted Sandpiper Saltholme RSPB on causeway

Quite a bonus! Probably my favourite wader, especially after seeing an unforgettable large flock (c100) displaying in Texas in Spring 22...


I arrived at Saltholme and parked up and joined the small group of Birders along an extremely busy main road. Less than ideal! I was greeted with the unfortunate news that the bird had just been flushed by a Peregrine and had flown off high. I set my scope up and scanned the birds present, only Lapwings and Black-tailed Godwits remained. I gave it 30 minutes but the bird didn't return.

Phil got a rather nice shot of the Marizion Bird!


I then drove the relatively short distance to South Gare (this site is in Historical Yorkshire and is counted as so for Listing purposes). I drove the long narrow entrance road and parked as close to the end as possible. This area is not aesthetically pleasing, particularly when you're passing the demolished Steelworks!!!

As I gathered my gear a lady appeared with hers. She told me the best place to view and how to get there. I made my way to the end of the concrete promontory and set up my scope. I could see a couple of buoys and sure enough on number 5, there it was...



The above pics were taken without the converter to give some perspective on the Estuary. I thought that was a good idea until 2 minutes later out of nowhere...this!


I DO have bad luck sometimes! Needless to say it didn't clear in the next 45 minutes, so I headed home. At least I'd seen it...but not as well as I had hoped for. Oh...and it was still in Yorkshire for me!

No comments: