Sunday 24 September 2023

AMERICAN WARBLERS 3-2-1!!!

Blimey!!!

I've done (click the number if you missed it)...

3rd for Britain

On my way back along the M4 on Thursday afternoon (I think it was Thursday!) I pulled into a services for a break and refreshments. I sat in the car for a while hopefully appreciating the magnitude and beauty (always been one of my favourites during my Texas visits) of the Bird I'd just seen...

10.55: BAY-BREASTED WARBLER Ramsey Island, Pembrokes

A tad of overlap...but never mind.

2nd for Britain

As you are aware having driven through the night from East Yorkshire, I was hoping for an easy cruise back. Fortunately or unfortunately news soon followed that there would be no boats till Saturday which made my mind up for me! I'd been to the Island once before in 1995 for the INDIGO BUNTING...we've done that one also. What to do? I tried ringing Blue Shark Charters the company that takes a boat out there but I couldn't get through...time is the essence in these situations as there "might be" others attempting the very same thing! You should be able to read through my words by now?

I then tried the website and sure enough it was possible to book a place for Saturday...so I did...10am. Definitely worth a gamble.

Other MEGAS present on Thursday

BOBOLINK - Skomer
BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER - Gwynedd
TENNESSEE WARBLER - Barra
BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER - Scilly

Note: I don't "do" Ireland

I took it easy Friday!!!

I had appointment in Hull Friday evening so I loaded up the V70 and headed in for 7. Louise happy and Buddy sorted. Excellent Fish and Chips in Anlaby before I headed West the South, retracing my previous route. I knew the way now! Fortunately there were no road closures and I settled down for a few hours on the A449...again. I awoke around 5 and continued to the M4 before heading West once more. These days I like to allow more time...just in case?

As I approached the Site...this was the stunning view over St Brides Bay at 7.30...

Click for a bigger pic...as always

As you can see it was a beautiful calm, clear morning....fortunately! I continued to the parking area, along the usual winding narrow roads and found a parking spot. It was now 8.30. Plenty of troops already there... 

The queue had formed

...no doubt some had slept overnight having stayed down in the area. My Dog is worth it! The first boat left at 9.30 and as I joined the chaps...THIS happened...

9:14: CANADA WARBLER St Govan's Head, Pembrokes

As already stated the queue contained many experienced Twitchers...but there were looks of genuine disbelief at what was unfolding (including yours truly) and it hadn't finished yet!!! Some present were on the midday boat which left them with a dilemma. Could they make the c35 mile there and back in time. I doubted it! Another fascinating twist of events. As far as I'm aware nobody left, after all, there was a BAY-BREASTED WARBLER waiting. First things first!

The boat returned...


The on-board procedure was thorough and professional as the 40 hopefuls boarded...4 boat loads went during the day...


It was a "who's who" of Britsih Twitchers as EVERYONE "needed" this Species! The first record was seen by non-Birders briefly at Land's End on October 1st 1995. Positive news had come through early off the Island, which calmed nerves to an extent BUT still no guarantee...until seen for oneself...of course.

Once landed, we had the introductory talk from the RSPB staff before Birders started to make their way up the steep slope to joint he first group who were apparently viewing the Bird...on and off. I lingered  a short while as I wanted to find out the arrangements for our return...understandably!!! I was informed it would be "first come, first served at 12.30 when the next boatload came across.

The next hour was bliss as we all enjoyed cracking views of this VERY special Bird in wonderful surroundings...


The bird was mobile but on view most of the time. It was below us for a while...

c40 yards


...but eventually it flew up the hill, even landing by the path briefly. There was an understandable flurry of activity at this point. I did manage to fire a few off once I'd got a clear view but alas...

If only!

It flew off up the slope and landed in the brambles by a wall...




It then actually perched on the wall. I'd seen a very similar picture online the previous day, so it was obviously part of its routine...



Down the hatch

Having had my fill I descended back down to the Quay to make sure I was on that boat. The word must have got around...


A perfect twitch.

As the others arrived a decent number stood with me on the lower Quay. Reception was iffy but this is the sequence of news we were treated too which again left us in all in disbelief...

10.50: PHILADELPHIA VIREO - Barra

11..36: NORTHERN PARULA - Scilly

12.07: OVENBIRD - Rhum

12.49: EMPID FLYCATCHER - Gwynedd

I've run out of superlatives!!! 

I still "need" the top two. This sent some of the younger element into overdrive regarding the logistics of reaching some of these locations. Phones were red-hot trying to arrange access to Barra, Scilly and Rhum. It was fascinating to watch them in operation...and it passed the time.

Once back on the Mainland, I made the steep accent to the car park, took my gear off, keyed in my next location and off I went to negotiate the narrow roads of West Wales back towards St Gowan's Head...where it all started early on Thursday morning! I believe the SAME Birder found both Birds!!!!!!

1st for Britain

I found myself on Site around 3. It was a slightly different scene to the one I'd just left. In a word...chaotic! A single track road to the coast car park with cars parked on both sides! It was an understandably popular location, unfamiliar with Birders coming and going. I found a spot and headed towards the bushes. I couldn't see many Birders...because they were all IN the bushes! I negotiated a spot and waited. Viewing was VERY difficult as I'm sure you can imagine. The bird kept to a small area but was very skulking, showing briefly in various areas. You had to be there. I was once...briefly. No pic and not an enjoyable experience BUT a first for Britain on my List, so I'll take it!

So, in THREE days I'd seen THREE American Warblers. All new to my British List. Incredible!!!
As well as Rare Birds there are Rare Weather Systems...and this could possibly have been the best EVER! A fast moving system dropping Birds in a specific area of Wales...and beyond. I would have been happy to see one of these in my Lifetime, to see all three...well!

No comments: