Friday 22 September 2023

MAGNOLIA WARBLER - 3rd for Britain!

1st: 1981 Isles of Scilly Barnaby Lane, St Agnes, 27th and 28th September

2nd: 2012 Fair Isle, Lerness, male, 23rd September 

...and then...

Scrolling through the news on Wednesday evening...

PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER - Foula

CLIFF SWALLOW - St Mary's, Scilly

Empid FLYCATCHER - Skokholme

BROWN BOOBY - South Gare

19:03: MAGNOLIA WARBLER - St Govan's Head, Pembrokeshire

MY WORD...I thought!!!

Could I sort a visit Thursday morning. I won't bore you with the minutiae; suffice to say I did to the satisfaction of my conscience...which is paramount...and Louise of course...which is Mnt Everest!!! 

I left home at 9pm. There was no problem...until the Sat Nav told me the M4 was closed and there was no alternate route!? I found one. I arrived at 6am (after grabbing a couple of hours on the A449) to a packed car park. Fortunately I managed to squeeze her in. I've changed my approach as returns diminish with age. "Wait for news" isn't an option these days as previous dips are etched into my consciousness! Notably the HERMIT THRUSH at Porthgwarra in 2013.

I sorted myself out and stood in the twilight as the troops assembled. We then headed off along the Coastal path...

6.25

Figuring the locals knew the route I followed the chaps, trying not to trip! We ended up in a small valley with (thankfully) plenty of room for everyone. The opposite hillside was being grilled as the light improved...

7.22...focussed

Amazingly someone picked it up at its roost site!!! I didn't. Plenty of directions being given...some more useful than others...but all well meaning. Some of the more humorous remarks...once you'd seen it...

"It's above the red berries"
"It's in the hole"
"It's in the bracken"!

I recognized plenty of faces and had a chat with Andrew Kinghorn who helped me locate the elusive and wide ranging target. It was good to see him again.  The bird eventually came down nearer the path and moved up the Valley, meaning it was inevitably followed by the admirers. It ended up at the top of the Valley in an open area, again, plenty of room for everyone...


I left around 9.30 as I had to get back for Bud. No doubt some cracking pics were obtained but for the record, here's a few of mine...giving a flavour of its elusive nature lol!

A BOC I sent before returning





Definitely yet another top-drawer MEGA (you know my preference for the West). Most come around again eventually BUT some are FAR more significant and memorable than others...THIS is such a Species.

Anyway, I can't hang around...

9.19: BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, Ramsey Island, Pembrokeshire - still behind white building

I've got to plan tomorrow's Twitch (Site of my 1995 INDIGO BUNTING). Back down to South West Wales...only 35 miles from my last visit! Only ONE previous record, again in 1995 at Land's End which was "untwitchable".

The latest "system" has dropped an unprecedented number of American birds in Britain. Fortunately it's happened during my retirement...all part of the master plan! Yes, I've missed a few (did I mention that?!) BUT I'm more than happy with this Year's haul so far...and it's STILL September! I booked a place on a boat yesterday...optimistically. Fingers crossed...

Just one more...

Those twigs!

No comments: