Sunday 3 September 2023

More Boobies

The gentle Sunday morning stroll along the Cliff was interrupted...

10.39: East Yorkshire Brown Booby Flamborough Head off Fog Horn Station

I made my way briskly back home, grabbed my gear and headed North towards Bridlington. No updates for 45 minutes...then negative news. Onward. What to do on arrival and where to go? Knowing the area well I didn't want to be too far from the car as it was reported "drifting North". I decided to head for Bempton and wait for news. I would have preferred to search but time can be of the essence in these situations and I'm not as quick as I used to be!

The afternoon drifted by with no further news and I headed home at 4. Further investigations revealed the Bird was first picked up some 50 minutes earlier but not confirmed. We've been here before...

I realize it's a big call (damned if you do etc) BUT if experienced Seawatchers are "interested", surely an immediate "possible" wouldn't have done any harm. It could easily be corrected but would allow Birders to set off earlier? We all make mistakes and I've made some beauties!!! A great reward nonetheless for Brett Richards, as NO-ONE has spent more time looking out to sea from Flamborough Head.

Ah well.

Wonder if there's any chance it would take to Withernsea Lighthouse? Even though it is inland!


No comments: