Thursday 12 May 2022

Texas 22 - Second Half (1)

I've given myself a rub down and a right talking to and I'm ready for the second half!

April 22nd started with us taking the Ferry from Galveston Island to the Bolivar Peninsular...

Any excuse to post a Ferry pic!

Galveston is the No1 Freight Port by volume in the United States. It's not difficult to see why...


The hordes of Laughing Gulls following the Ferry is something I never tire of...



Hopefully I can give a different slant on each day from here on in with more detail on the latter days? We had a brief stop on Frenchtown Road (just off the Ferry terminal) which can be good for Rails (best at dawn) but only produced breeding Killdeer today...





High on the Cuteometer

No apologies for another dodgy image of the lone Upland Sandpiper on the lawns at Crystal Beach...

A distinctive "jizz"

This sighting meant a lot to me. I'd tried here in previous Years without success, always seeing "just" Whimbrel, so today was a red letter one! I'd had VERY distant views on Galveston Airfield on my last visit but today was MUCH better. Reminded me of my Scilly pair in the classic Year of 1999.

Later in the day time was spent at the Rookery at Smith Oaks, High Island. The idea here was to fully appreciate the Rookery whilst hoping for a miracle fly-by of a Wood Stork (Texas tick) that had been seen in the area recently. I enjoyed the "Rookery"! Who wouldn't!!


The elusive Purple Gallinule
Eventually

Great Egret

Roseate Spoonbill


The last couple of Hours back down the peninsular were very enjoyable in the afternoon sunshine. A half mile walk to the birds which are protected from the masses by posts and fences enabling relaxed uninterrupted viewing. It's some spectacle...


There were easily 500 American Avocets present 

...and Brown Pelicans are just...cool!



I know,I know...BUT this bird provides endless entertainment...it's also a stunner ...


More Laughing Gull action at dusk on the return Ferry concluded a great day on the Bolivar...

Don't feed the Birds!?

No comments: