Monday 9 May 2022

Texas 22 - First Half Summary (2)

In the interest of topicality, I'm trying to keep things moving despite the usual return jet-lag! No sympathy expected! Gives me an excuse to Blog...I'm recovering!!

I made 10 visits to the Convention Centre at various times of day (mainly mornings)... 

...and just a single visit to the palatial World Birding Centre...


Valley Fund Lots at Sheepshead Drive...


These lots are under continual pressure from developers. There used to be 6...now just 2. Let's hope they can be protected...for the Birds sake!

These three Sites plus the two "twitches" to residential drives are where I spent my time Birding. All within 10 minutes of our place, the first two being across the road! 

So to the Birds. I hope to strike the right balance here...you'll be the judge of that! The Warblers are obviously the Stars that everyone comes to see...and rightly so. I was the only Brit' present, as far as I'm aware but Birders from all over the States were present to enjoy the spectacle.

The weather was better for the Birds than the Birders with mainly Southerly winds but enough fell our way to enjoy. A selection (click to enlarge, as always)...

Reddish Egret

Reddish Egret (white morph)

Great Blue Heron

Red-winged Blackbird

Tennessee Warbler

Lesser Nighthawk

White-eyed Vireo

Black-throated Green Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Painted Bunting

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Scarlet Tanager

Indigo Bunting

Grey Catbird

Northern Waterthrush

Dickcissels

There we go then. A sample of some of the great Birds I encountered on SPI. Tomorrow, I'll do a summary of my mini-trip to the RGV. Stay tuned...

No comments: