Wednesday 18 May 2022

A Grand Day out in Yorkshire

Brief late one tonight as I've just got back from Sammy's after scraping the MASKED WAGTAIL. I think they call it an Insurance tick!?

Reports of a Honey Buzzard at Wykeham yesterday tempted me to make an attempt this morning. I arrived just after 10 and joined my pal Haydn. It was good to see him, as always.I bored him with some Texas tales while we waited...hopefully Around 11.20 a Goshawk was seen VERY distantly to the NW. As people were sharing scope views I picked up another Raptor drifting towards me from the East. Again...I'm no Raptor Guru BUT it looked "good"...and different! Jizz completely different from Common. Gliding on downcurved wings...it had to be a Honey. It was...


Chuffed to pick it up. It circled overhead for a good 5  drifting back East. I did get a VERY distant look at the Goshawk through my bins. Confirmed by scopes.

We left at Noon. After going our separate ways I made my way back along the Coast Rd. As I reached the Dotterel roundabout I saw the sign for Bempton, stating 5 miles. I made the turn. The magnitude of the BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS occurrence should NEVER diminish. Igave it 2.5 hours from a distant viewpoint overlooking Staple Nook but it wasn't to be today.

No comments: