Friday 20 May 2022

Texas 22 - Day 18

A FULL Day on the Bolivar Peninsular including High Island and Anahuac was today's exciting plan.Would the Birds play the game?

An early Ferry saw us out on the water by 7.15am where I nearly photographed a Dolphin...it was early!


We headed straight up to Yacht Basin Rd on yet another lead from eBird which I'd fortunately had time to check on my phone while waiting to board the Ferry. Luck was hopefully with me this time? The report said there were "some" on the road but the information didn't give an accurate location. No matter...I'd have a good look. 30 minutes past with no sign. However, I did FINALLY nail a "proper" look at a King Rail. VERY similar to Clapper and being a Rail not THAT easy to get a GOOD look at. This particular Bird had just had a bathe and was preening by the road, totally unconcerned by my presence, allowing prolonged views!


Chestnut patch on wing very apparent here, plus strongly barred Black and White flanks. A BIG bonus sighting this.

The habitat here is mainly grassland with few proper perching places...which doesn't help. The road is about 800 yds in length before "dead-ending" at the huge Intercoastal Canal. A couple more trucks appeared...more Birders. Still no sign of our target. Guessed it yet? You could cheat by looking at the earlier Summary I guess lol!

A couple from the Northern States seemed interested in a particular field near the main road? As we drove down to see what they "had" I spotted one perched briefly on a Reed. I'd seen one ...at last. as we pulled up behind their truck, they informed us they'd found some more BOBOLINKS!!!


Flushed with success we headed to High Island for lunch at Hooks Woods...



This is my favourite Wood on High Island, alas we picked the wrong day as it was dead like the rest of the Area. That's Birding! No matter I'd already seen some great Birds today and there was plenty more to come!! This Wood is first landfall off the Gulf...


...and has some superb Live Oaks to attract the tired and hungry Birds...



A new water feature has been installed since my last visit. A VERY tasteful structure...



Whilst enjoying our lunch and lamenting on the dearth of Birds...a superb male American Redstart popped in for a drink briefly, just to remind me there are NO bad days here!

We decided to have a ride out to Anahuac in the hottest part of the day, as you can do a drive around Shoveler Pond and "Bird" from the car. Good plan...if you've got enough "Gas". I underestimated the distance and the gauge was at an "uncomfortable" level,so we had to return to High Island. HATE wasting time BUT my fault. As we were back at HI I changed the plan and decided to have a quick peep in Boy Scouts Woods for old times sake


This is the Nerve Centre of High Island. I first stepped through this gate 22 years ago!!! I still have my T-Shirt. Each Year they have a different species as the emblem. In 2000 it was Yellow Warbler.

I spent a pleasant hour reminiscing but "not much about"...even here!

The Cathedral

 As I was returning to Louise, I noticed a message on the whiteboard...

Buff-breasted Sandpipers on French Road

I was definitely interested. After inquiring about the location, we were reliably informed "we'd find it"?
On the way out I noticed this across form the entrance...

A new "Nerve Centre" next Year

Twenty minutes later (after negative checking for the Great Horned Owl and Cave Swallows by the Intercoastal Bridge) we were on French Road with the help of the HUGE signpost! "Third Field down" we were told. Now then...Texas Fields are...yep you guessed it...VAST! We drove down the track checking all viewable areas; we must have gone over a Mile. No sign. We turned to check on the way back to the main road. As we were slowly driving a truck approached form the rear and stopped by us. "Are you looking for the Buff-breasted Sandpipers"?! My lucky day...maybe. "Yes"I replied. "You haven't gone far enough!! You need the Field with the Cows in".

After thanking them, we made our way further down the track...to the Cows of course. A definite landmark. We pulled over, Louise got her chair and parasol out and I started to scan. The Field was...oh never mind!

The next Hour can only be described as...Special...VERY Special. I soon located the Sandpipers scurrying around in groups in the short grass, mixed in with the Cattle. I estimated 50+ Birds BUT there were probably more. Sandy in Colour and very active...

First view at 50yds

It was 4pm and I was looking South so the light wasn't great from my vantage point...good enough though. I decided to walk West to try and get a better aspect on the Birds although I was already near the NW corner...


As we always do...I was hoping they may come slightly closer to the fence...they did...

Things went beyond my wildest dreams...when they started...DISPLAYING!!!!!!





After connecting with an Upland earlier in the trip, to have such views of these grassland Beauties was the icing on the cake!

I also had cracking views of a singing Eastern Meadowlark...



We moved on to Anahuac...to try again...


Messing up earlier probably worked to our advantage now as the light was better and it was cooler. We took the 2.5 mile Shoveler Loop. Black-bellied Whistling Duck (yes...they DO whistle) is a common bird in Texas. The "other one" isn't. This Site was going to be my "best shot" at adding it to my Trip List. As we reached the west side of the track the light became "just peachy"...as they say over here. As we reached the next pull-in I saw something "interesting"...


Then more...


The afternoon sun certainly brought out the best in their plumage!


They seemed to be enjoying it also...



A "mighty fine" Duck...


Further along the track...a movement on a log...

Least Bittern

Yet another Bonus Bird!


We also so a few more Alligators...


The last quality bird of the day was this stunning Stilt Sandpiper...


The Top Bird and encounter was earlier though...


We made our way back down the Bolivar and across on the Ferry back to Galveston to end a great day.

No comments: