Tuesday 28 December 2021

Review of the Year 2021

In the traditional manner...


British List (all reports are viewable by clicking on the bird)

Where to start then? Makes sense, at least to me, to have a chronological feel to it, so I'll start after the third Lockdown with my NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD sighting in Devon on March 29th . I was lucky how it turned out but I like to think I deserved it for being a good boy...in fact I know I did!

Onto Independence Day and a celebration in the form of an ELEGANT TERN in Wales at Cemlyn. A nice "grip back" after missing a few for various reasons.

Into the "Autumn" and a major surprise locally on September 10th in the form of a handy GREEN WARBLER at Buckton (news broke as I was watching the PLOVER). A bird usually associated with off-shore islands, so VERY handy indeed. Incredible to think you could possibly see this bird, the ALBATROSS and the PLOVER in East Yorkshire...in the same day!!! My decision to take THIS boat trip was one of my better decisions!

With the annual Scilly pilgrimage looming a long-overdue LONG-TOED STINT at St Aidan's RSPB, West Yorks increased the heart rate somewhat on October 9th. After a tense hour or so the bird materialized for all to enjoy. Probably the most over-due Wader on the British List after the 1982 Teeside bird.

Whilst firmly planted on the Fortunate Isles bombshell news broke on Wednesday October 27th. An almost mythical VARIED THRUSH had been found by David Roche on Papa Westray, Orkney. A species you dream of seeing when you flick through the Rare Bird annals. After my previous visits the combination of a fantastic bird on my favourite Scottish Island had me crossing everything for the next few days. I wasn't leaving Scilly though. Fortunately it hung on for me allowing me to connect on Sunday the 31st after an exhilarating late afternoon dash, followed by a far more relaxed FULL day with the bird on Monday in pleasant weather. A day that will remain in my memory forever. 

I was more than happy with my yearly haul but it wasn't over yet. Incredibly another top tier, longed for MEGA was found in Preston, Lancashire in the form of a BELTED KINGFISHER. This bird is still present as I write and seems to have settled in a more accessible area. It was still one of my better decisions to make the trip over the Pennines with Phil and Steve pre-dawn on November 26th, even if the access was a tad precarious. In many other Years this would have been Bird of the Year! Very satisfying to get this one "back".

I have one or two "Pending" records that I haven't added to my "Official List" yet, although I obviously have my own views on them.


Yorkshire List

A Turtle Dove at Easington in Rich Swales's back yard turned into an ORIENTAL on July 2nd. After a short period of tension the bird re-appeared and all connected with the help of the locals. A Spurn Tick to boot!

Fast forward to August 26th when a dapper WHITE-TAILED PLOVER turned up at Blacktoft Sands RSPB. After the initial scramble the bird settled down and is STILL there as I write! It's been 14 years since I saw my first at Caelaverock WWT following an after work dash on June 6th.

GREEN WARBLER - already covered

As I was still getting my breath back from my Papa Westray escapade a or another TAIGA FLYCATCHER was located at Flamborough Head. One was initially seen whilst I was on Scilly so this was a major bonus, especially as I'd missed the Spring bird of 2003. A Red-flanked Bluetail was a significant bonus.

Holmpton List

I managed 4 Village ticks with the Black Stork on August 8th the undoubted highlight. I also added Greenshank, Tree Pipit and Red-necked Grebe. It would be remiss of me not to mention my SECOND record of White-tailed Eagle for the Village on May Day. Incredible really, as I'm still getting over the first one in November 18!

Spurn List

As well as the ORIENTAL TURTLE DOVE I added Mandarin Duck (I know) and Purple Heron. A cracking Golden Oriole on May 6th is definitely worth a mention as is an adult Rosy Pastor in July.

York Area List

 Savi's Warbler at Heslington East in May was an unexpected but welcome addition.


Summary

The Spring holiday to Texas didn't materialize for the second year running which was obviously a massive blow. My first stay on Shetland in September was a quiet affair Rarity wise. I amassed a modest 65 species but included KING EIDER and Greenish Warbler early on with a sting on the tail on the final day, when my decision to visit Unst paid off handsomely with my 3rd ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.

Scilly is always special in my book (you've probably guessed that by now). No BIG ONE this Year but just a magical place to be in October. It was great to have a couple of weeks there this time. I managed to make 100 species and miles. I added Eider, Spotted Redshank, Hoopoe, Woodlark, Cetti's Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher bringing my Scilly List up to 232. I also saw my second Spotted Sandpiper. My June trip hoping to connect with the EGYPTIAN VULTURE would come to nothing BUT I did add Red-footed FalconPuffin and Iceland Gull. Oh and I saw a WALRUS!!!

The uncertainty of the Pandemic remains with us all but life goes on. I'm not opening that door here. Suffice to say that the future is uncertain. 2020 cost me some (3) Lifers as already discussed but I hope free movement will be permitted in 2022; time will tell. I've made provision for Texas in April and I've got everything crossed...third time lucky...hopefully?

So, it's time for my Bird of the Year. Yorkshire had one hell of a Year which kept the fuel costs down. An ALBATROSS is the Holy Grail for many, yours truly included BUT it was present, albeit briefly in previous Years and I had great views LAST year. It spent all Summer at Bempton this Year....and it could well return next Year! It was never taken for granted though, I can assure you!  

So, for me it just has to be.........

 The Zoothera VARIED THRUSH  

WHAT A BIRD!!!

The combination of the adventure, the location, quality time spent, Rarity value and stunning looks, nails it beyond doubt...this Year or any Year...

Here's to 22...hope it's a good one for ALL of us...

No comments: