Friday 3 December 2021

BELTED KINGFISHER - Reflections

I combined a visit to "me Mum's" with a walk on the Ribble...funnily enough! The forecast for Wednesday morning was poor and that's how it panned out. My decision to arrive at Noon was a good one. It still wasn't great but our walk along the Riverbank from Brockholes was a pleasant one. When I arrived there were a few hopefuls present...

I gave it till 3 then headed back to Bury.

Onto Thursday morning. A much better forecast had me up and out at 6am. This time I headed for the area above the dreaded Red Scar Wood BUT there was no way I was decending the slope. I continued along the footpath and ended up in the same spot by the River at the old weir...

A crisp morning

As you can see I was on my own this time...well almost! A few more hopefuls came and went but I'd had enough by 11 and I was taking my Mother out for lunch so once again I left the site. On the way back to the car I paid my respects to "the slope" I'd slid down then grappled back up last Friday morning...

A slippery slope indeed!

Seeing it again felt good in a strange sort of way...it enhanced the achievement...and success somehow?  I passed a few Birders and a couple asked me about the slope. I didn't underestimate my description!! No further sign as of writing. For me, it's probably still about but obviously very unpredictable in its movements. One thing for sure, whoever sees it will definitely have earned it...we did!!!

BELTED KINGFISHER - River Ribble 26/11/21


No comments: