Thursday 6 May 2021

Catch Up - then an Oriole!

Things still mighty slow. A few bits bravely trying to establish territories despite the...I won't say it! A Blackcap in the shadows briefly...


At least 3 Chiffchaffs are persevering on Seaside Lane. Still no Swift or House Martin locally for me.

A few hours at Duff yesterday failed to add anything significant although a wing-tagged Marsh Harrier (74) was "new"...for me.

This morning I checked all bare fields for Dotterel...I know...BUT you never know. I always think of May 6th as Dotterel day...for some bizarre reason! Needlesss to say...no luck on that one. The fields looked "good" though.

Mid-morning I received a message off Steve Lawton asking me if I'd been down for the Golden Oriole that turned up yesterday at Spurn. I told him I hadn't. He informed me there were some great pics of it...a stunning male. It took me 19 years to get my Yorkshire tick but since moving locally I've seen a few, including one at Sammy's Point that I spent a few hours with. I guess his message planted the seed in my head though and an hour later I found myself at Kilnsea. I asked a few Birders what the latest was and it became clear that it wasn't showing. It had been commuting between the Warren and Canal Bank. 

I decided to wait in my car for a while and scan the immediate area near the Gate and Canal. There were a decent number about and I reckoned there was a good chance someone would pick it up...if only in flight? I gave it an hour but no positive news came through. I decided to head home and maybe give it a go this evening, hoping it would return to the Warren.

As I reached the Gas Terminal...a message...

Golden Oriole showing well halfway along the Canal Bank

A quick U-turn and back to Kilnsea...and the Canal Bank. There were around a dozen Birders present when I reached the spot...

View over the Humber from the Canal Bank

The bird had been seen in this group of bushes. There was a brief sighting after around 20 minutes, then nothing for another 20. Then someone picked it up, perched deep in the vegetation. Fortunately for all present, it then sat up in the top of a bush and we all enjoyed "crippling views" for at least 20 minutes as it sat there in the sunshine...



As far as I'm aware this species doesn't breed in Britain anymore. I did see them (distantly and briefly) in the late eighties at Lackenheath in Suffolk. Alas, the habitat could not be secured...unfortunately! To see a fine male so well and so close to home, was a privilege indeed. Glad I went down...


No comments: