Wednesday 30 June 2021

BBA

I just had to go back.

I didn't set an alarm as I always wake when something of note is possible. Took Bud for a good walk, then left at 5. Yep, McDonald's breakfast in Brid', then onto Bempton. I'd texted Steve to check he was going and he replied; telling me he was already there! He also said the car park was full. The weather was grim, heavily overcast with constant drizzle in a moderate Northerly wind. Here comes Summer?

It was busy when I arrived but the marshalls were doing a superb job and I was ushered to a second overflow car park...which I didn't know existed! The rain was heavier now so I waited in the car. Reports were coming through that the bird was still present but mobile. I was hoping to get some kind of flight shot and was prepared to stay all morning before returning for Bud.

Eventually it stopped and I gathered my gear and headed for the Cliffs. I was looking forward to spending some time with this magnificent bird, although I would definitely need some luck. When I reached the New Roll-up viewpoint the bird was being observed (by many) sat on the Cliff above Elephant Rock. It didn't seem completely settled, as it was being harrassed by Gannets...

I had decent, if distant views through the scope. As I was watching it a birder turned round...it was Steve! He'd left before it was located (7.21) but had (understandably) turned around! Quite a stroke of luck with so many people present. After a good chat he left and I continued my vigil. Eventually I decided to start to walk to one of the viewpoints, hoping it would eventually leave its resting spot and fly along the Cliffs. I'd only walked some 50 yds when a shout went up that it was flying this way!

It was difficult to get any kind of view below the Cliffs from the path but miraculously the bird appeared...albeit briefly...in view. Even more miraculous was the fact that I managed to "grab" a pic...

Through the grasses. (Click the pic).

Once again, I was amazed how well this came out, considering it was a split second "point and shoot".

I then spent a couple of hours waiting at the Grandstand viewpoint. I got talking to a nice lad from Notts whose name I've forgotten (an irritating trait of mine). Apologies. We were treated to a couple of prolonged spectacular displays by "Albert" which will live long in the memory. Below are a series of variable images to mark the event.



A tumble below the viewpoint...

Finally, my first view out of the gloom...

What a morning...what a bird! Despite the poor weather it was a privilege to spend time with this Icon at this Flagship RSPB reserve. As I was considering leaving Richard appeared with John Hewitt and Steve Exley. He asked if he cadge a lift back, so we set off home...well chuffed!

It was good to get some images of my own as there are always countless ones on-line these days.The location and nature of the species meant everyone had an opportunity to view the bird safely and with minimum hassle.

Personally, I feel the bird will Summer here...I certainly hope so; then I'll be back...on a sunny day.


2 comments:

Barry Bishop said...

Excellent pictures Alan.

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Barry. Did you see it?