Thursday 10 June 2021

Sulphur-bellied Warbler - Reflections

A tale of woe...BUT as you know by now...all will be revealed. Hopefully some interest will be provided?

June 8th

11.27 MEGA Devon SULPHUR-BELLIED WARBLER male singing Lundy in Millcombe Valley

Originally thought to be a Dusky Warbler; the "power" of the internet strikes again. A quick check of Google Maps revealed a suggested ETA of around 5.30, so doable? Luck with traffic obviously needed. However, certain logistical considerations would have to be taken into account. As you know I'm not a ditherer but I am a realist. My initial feelings were mixed...
  • Unfamiliar with the area and access  - although it can soon be figured out with some luck on the internet and phone!
  • Bud to go in the Kennels as an Island is involved - contacting and space can be an issue
  • Doctors appointment
  • Louise isn't a problem as she's a diamond and always supportive. I'm very lucky.
  • Time isn't an issue these days...but outlay can be!
  • Every second counts...ASAP...and all that.
I'm a "lone wolf" these days for many reasons that have already been aired. I do have some mates (believe it or not) but groups complicate logistics and waste time. Steve contacted me but he couldn't make it in the end. I was also aware Trevor was making his way down. A down side is that you can't plan while driving and information can pass you by...but there you go.

Some twitchers have networks and groups, so will be aware even before news is generally released, although on this occasion it was mooted as being possibly something "different" earlier in the morning (I was unaware of this). No doubt some set off with this possibility in mind. Smart move! I did that once (ACADIAN FLYCATCHER).

I couldn't get hold of the kennels and I'd already cancelled an appointment once. I knew some would be roaring down there as I searched, trying to figure out a way across on the day. Money talks and I later found out some (unsurprisingly) succeeded.  Some just...WENT...and hoped to get across. Fair play! Where there's a will and all that. I heard 4 boats went across totalling 48 twitchers.. Some did make it from remarkable distances. Again, I did that once (AMUR FALCON).

I fished around on-line and eventually found a place on a boat (run by Ilfracombe Sea Safari) for the next morning at 7.30 after trying to get on the Oldenberg Ferry. I eventually booked Bud into the Kennels and attended my appointment like a good lad. The plan was hatched.

I set off at 9pm and drove down to the Ilfracombe turn off on the M5 before crashing out (not literally) around 2am. After a few hours kip I continued to Ilfracombe arriving around 6.30. I found a free parking spot (why pay?) and made my way down to the harbour. I was already getting a few negative vibes as it was light at 5 and there was no "early bird" news? Onward.

There were quite a few chaps already there when I arrived and it became apparent that all available vessels had been hired. A few familiar faces were clocked. The weather was mercifully calm but I'd taken my Stugeron (strongly recommended) and felt delicately confident! The things you do to try for a bird.

Our vessel appeared and I was pleased to see it was a high speed catamaran which would hopefully negate the motion sickness? It did the job handsomely and we arrived on Lundy an hour later. It was great fun actually which was a nice surprise. Still no positive news by 8.30?

Lundy is owned by the National Trust and managed by the Landmark Trust...apparently. It's a fair chunk of land out in the Bristol Channel. It's around 3 miles long by 0.5 wide and reaches a height of 469 feet at Beacon Hill. As we were disembarking (an event in itself) news came through that the bird had been seen!!! The long, steep ascent to Millcombe Valley suddenly didn't seem as daunting.

However, halfway up it became apparent that the news may have been..."erroneous", as they say in these circles. I hung on to faint hope as I (slowly) completed the ascent. Thoughts of the LAMMERGEIER twitch came flooding back. Alas the news was true. Cruel doesn't cover it.

Still there was still hope that the bird could be relocated...


...it wasn't.

The realisation that I would now be on the Island till 6.45 was kicking in. What didn't help matters was that the forecast of improving weather never materialised (surprise surprise) and it remained wet and dull all day. Your probably getting the picture by now!

I did look thoroughly during the morning but I must admit by early afternoon my mental fortitude was fading. It was time for Lunch...


I'd tried. 

After exhausting my charismatic anecdotes I finally found an empty bench...

Looking South...for our boat!

I then walked down to the Quay. As we waited like lost dogs for the boat and ribs to re-appear (there were some delays apparently) I noticed a solitary soul walking towards me. It was Trevor! He'd obviously come across later but I hadn't seen him all day!? We shared our sorrow briefly before I had to board.

On the positive side...
  • It was great to get "back in the saddle" again. 
  • I saw my first Dolphin in Britain on the journey out.
  • I met several and had chance to talk with many old acquaintancies from over the years which helped kill the hours. It was great to see them again.
  • I added Lundy to my impressive Islands of Britain list!
  • It was another great adventure...and that IS the most important thing...honestly. I'll spare you the Top of the League/Cup Winner/European places speech.
  • I was disappointed with the outcome but satisfied with my effort.
I got back to the car after scaling the north face of Ilfracombe (has to be one of the steepest seafronts in Britain) around 8pm. I drove for a while then pulled over and slept. I got back to Holmpton around Noon.
 
There'll be another..?

No comments: