Thursday 27 February 2020

Patch Gold!

A crisp clear morning, so time for a dog walk along the beach. I could see a few RTD's from the cliff so I decided to try and negotiate the somewhat fluid temporary steps down by the runnel. I made it despite Buddy's best attempts to interfere!

I walked back South to hopefully check out the Divers. The sea was quite choppy due to a moderate NE wind which obviously didn't make for easy viewing. The first bird I picked out...wasn't a Diver. First thoughts due to the habitat were Red-breasted Merganser rather than Goosander. The conditions made getting a conclusive view difficult. The bird was swimming strongly North (into the wind) and kept disappearing in the swell...


I followed it North up the beach and eventually got some decent images...



Really chuffed to add Goosander (P.81, H.53) to my Holmpton list. Self-found Patch ticks are the most satisfying sightings. It's not easy picking these local gems...

Holmpton 170

I also saw my first Gannet (P.82, H.54) of the Year. I still need Red-breasted Merganser!

I have a cunning plan for next week. Maybe you can guess what it is?

No comments: