Wednesday 26 February 2020

NDC - Raptor Fest!

I passed through Bubwith just before 10am to the familiar winter site of  floodwater! Always an impressive sight...


After settling down in the Geoff Smith Hide I started to scan the Carrs. It was a bright, sunny morning with little wind...long overdue!!! To be honest the water level was far to high for optimum conditions. Most of the birds were scattered around the perimeter of the reserve giving distant views. However, there was plenty of quality around. Buzzards seemed to be everywhere with a conservative estimate being 10. Then...a Peregrine...and another! Both birds came to rest at the far end by some hay bales...

Large female
It was c1000yds away!

This bird hunted and returned to this perch throughout my stay. These two were both adults but a young bird (possibly two) were also seen on NDC and the neighbouring Bubwith Ings. Great stuff! This was my first experience of a multiple sighting of this species here. Special.

After a short visit to Selby for the obligatory chip butty (plus hair cut) I returned for the afternoon session. This paid off with prolonged views of a distant Red Kite, a much anticipated sighting as they had been reported in the area over the last week or so. A pair of Oystercatchers on the riverbank completed my Year additions bringing my total to 60.

Spring in the Air...?

No comments: