Sunday 2 September 2018

Things are warming up!

I started off at the Sewage. A nice group of Pied Wagtails (H.100) were noted...


Where have they been?  I also managed a Grey (P.143, H.101).

Just as I was leaving a last scan of the sea revealed a distant small flock of birds flying south offshore. My first thought was Gannets but as they got closer I realized they were something more unusual...Avocets! (H.102).

A precious record
Next it was up to Out Newton. As I approached the cliff a Sparrowhawk shot across the path and landed in the hay...


Judging by the large size and brown colouration, a juvenile female I reckon. It stayed put for around 15 minutes before flying off across the stubble...


I'd decided to take Louise out for lunch...via West Newton...were a couple of Cranes had been reported. As we set off I had yet another hopeful look in "the ditch"...


Three days since I'd seen it. A nice surprise! That's EIGHT days at least now it's been in the area...


After returning from Hornsea there was no sign of the bird. I dropped Louise off at home and made my way down to Spurn to try for the Ortolan Bunting(s). A species that has become far more scarce over the years...it's not on its own...unfortunately!

It was now 3.30ish and there was only a small crowd still interested in the bird(s). They had been ranging over a fair area apparently and there was no sign of them presently. I had a brief chat with Richard Boon and his wife before deciding to have a walk around Clubley's Field. Still no joy by 4.30pm although I add add Whinchat (P.143, S.101).

Then a gesture from a Birder searching a ditch towards the sea. He'd found one! It took a while but  eventually I managed to photograph the bird...

Ortolan Bunting (P.144, S.102)

No comments: