Tuesday 4 September 2018

BIG Birds

Another early start. I was motivated to rise by the forecast of a decent Northerly blow. I checked the ditch for my mate...he was there!

I hunkered down behind the faithful V70 and waited for the show. Gannets were passing regularly in good numbers, some quite close. It looked promising.  Decent numbers of Teal and Wigeon passed. Then a Tufted Duck (159) a Holmpton Lifer no less! Then, VERY distantly 4 Manx Shearwaters scythed through the waves. I also had another Arctic Skua. Sandwich Terns passed constantly and I had a couple of groups of Common. I gave it a couple of hours logging well over 200 Gannets...a fine spectacle! My overall impression was one of slight disappointment considering the favourable conditions.

Around lunchtime I arrived back at West Carlton for a second attempt at the Common Cranes. Gavin had seen them the previous evening so I was determined to find them this time...they're big enough!

After a quick scan...there they were! Very distant (c600yds) but at least they were showing...


I also took a decidedly dodgy phone-scoped effort! At least it shows the size difference with their mate the Heron...


I spent an hour this afternoon totting up my Year totals as the Autumn begins...always fun trying to synchronize them! 

I'm out of the picture now for a couple of days as I boost the holiday fund...

No comments: