Monday 3 September 2018

Pirate

Early start today with a trip down to Kilnsea at dawn to try for Short-eared Owl (P.145, S.103) around Holderness Field. I managed a brief yet distant view of a single bird. Not what I was hoping for but the exercise was good!

Mid-morning  checked for the GWE and sure enough it was there, by the ditch, on the edge of the stubble.

News came through of a Spoonbill at Kilnsea Wetlands. No sign in an hours vigil. However, I did add Snipe (S.104) to my Spurn year list...


Another nice walk on another beautiful day.

After lunch I checked again for the GWE but no sign this time, just the fast growing young Mallards that bred there...


Yet another example of birds taking to a slither of habitat in the arable desert!!! A sad state of affairs.

I finished off at The Sewage scanning the sea with my Trinnies. Almost immediately a group of Cormorants flew South...


A few Sandwich Terns were fishing offshore. I live in hope. Today my positive vibes paid off...

Arctic Skua (P.146, H.103)
Fortunately the bird latched on to a couple of Sandwich Terns forcing one of them to drop its catch...


I feel this bird is a dark juvenile...






Then it was home to sort the garden out.

Sightings are going VERY well. Lets hope they continue?

No comments: