Saturday 8 September 2018

Crippling Views - a nice trio!

As stated many times before I try to stay local these days...and find my own...with the odd cherry pick down the road. Now and again though I get tempted to range further afield, especially when the views on offer promise to be rather good.

So, yesterday evening I made the trip to Bempton to try for the probably THE most photographed Wryneck ever! They are great birds, full of character with an amazing plumage. I arrived around 6pm, parked up and walked around the footpath by the dell. I could see a few heads behind the fence but it was difficult to see exactly where they were looking. Unfortunately, I inadvertently flushed it as it was on the path! I apologised but it soon returned and began feeding again. A couple of chaps were lying on the floor taking pics. When they got up  realised one of them was Steve Lawton.

Over the next hour the bird performed brilliantly well showing no fear at all. At one point the bird waked right up to and passed Andy Hood who was sat on the ground...


The location of the Dell meant that the sun couldn't penetrate but the views were still stunning. Well worth the trip...




After saying my goodbyes I made sure I didn't run over it as I left, as it was right by the path...


A real Cutie!
This morning I left for South Gare around 8. I was hoping to see another species that had been showing rather well. Still in historical Yorkshire but it's a good drive from Holmpton! After a couple of stops I arrived around 11 and thankfully the rain that was forecast hadn't arrived yet. There were a good number of Birders scattered around but no significant group. I scanned the area and found the bird sat on the beach! Even at 200 yds it looked a significant lump.

I made my way cautiously over the stones and out to the bird, hoping it wouldn't fly off before I got there. There were only four Birders admiring the bird when I got there. I gave it an hour until the rain started. I was hoping the bird would fly but it was probably full of fish scraps left by the fisherman. No matter. It was well worth the trip to obtain my best ever views of a Pomarine Skua...

A stunner
Third bird. Well, it's my local superstar that was still present on Friday morning although  haven't seen it since...

No comments: