Thursday 13 April 2017

Cyprus Summary

I checked out another couple of sites locally on the morning of the 12th. Firstly Timi Beach near the airport. The habitat looked good for migrants and access was easy in the car. I managed a few Isabelline Wheatears (fairly common on passage in Cyprus)...


and excellent views of the elusive Chukar...


Next it was time for my first stroll around Paphos headland. I knew this area well from my trip last winter. I'd seen Greater Sand Plover then but I wanted another peep. I only found (eventually) a single bird. I wondered if there would be any sign of summer plumage, there wasn't...



After breakfast we were off to Limassol and "My Mall"!!! Well, to be more accurate Louise was! This shopping utopia is conveniently placed at the start of Lady's Mile on the Akrotiri Peninsular. Nice! Unfortunately, we had chosen today (Sunday) because the forecast was poor and boy did it live up to it's billing! While Louise was in retail heaven I was praying for a break n the torrential rain. Of course there wasn't one, in fact at one point I was seriously concerned I was going to get stranded as the pools overflowed.

I survived to bring you a few "atmospheric snaps". Bad weather can mean good birds...if you can see them. What might I see through the steamy windows? Not a lot to be honest! Then...there it was...


Then two more...


Amazed I recorded anything through a gap in the bushes in the darkness and pouring rain! I decided to head down to the southern end of the pool. I wasn't going to hang around as the water levels were rising ...FAST!  I scanned and scanned...then there were seven...


Quite a distinctive jizz!

A youngster
So there you go. A wonderful hour with an iconic species... I know...a Gull! It somehow gives off a tranquil vibe, even in foul weather! Needless to say this was the end of today's birding. I picked the boss up and we headed for Paphos.



N.B. I've posted smaller images to keep things tight but they can be enlarged by clicking on them.

No comments: