Sunday 16 April 2017

Cyprus Summary - Troodos

This was my first trip up into the mountains. At over 5,000ft it's an impressive height and contrast with my wanderings thus far.

We'd been waiting for a settled spell and it had arrived. It took us about 90 minutes to reach the village. We parked (all free) and had a coffee overlooking the conifers. I thought I might sneak a Crossbill. I didn't!

Again, I'd been fortunate with my timing as a PINE BUNTNG had been found by Matt Smith the previous day. He'd kindly given me directions so we found the spot and adopted our usual tactics. I searched while Louise read...


It was still a bit fresh in places...


My first sighting of note was...a Mistle Thrush...


A local resident but can be hard to catch up with. t flew over our spot and landed high in a conifer across the road. Three hours in the area failed to produce a sighting of the PB but I did add Pallid Swift, Jay, (Dorothy's) Short-toed Treecreeper and Coal Tit...


A distinctive bird I think you would agree. Another visit to the café produced a surprise sighting...Lance Degnan! A shout of "Alan" alerted me to his presence. He was enjoying a nice fish lunch with his wife. We had a brief chat and then left them in peace.

It was late afternoon now and the temperature was dropping...fast!  One last look around the square. Crossbill is a bogey bird for me. I still "need" it for my ABA list. I've looked for it all over the States, in suitable areas of course. I'd really enjoyed our day and was very impressed with the area. I scanned again...was it a mirage?

NO...


BIG moment for yours truly this. You can spend a LONG time looking at the tops of conifers in vain! I remember looking for Hawk Owl in Alaska. Found one on the last day!

Definitely a large-billed race...and as Bill Stacey informed me "I've yet to see a red one"!


I savoured the moment and hopefully FULLY appreciated it...


No comments: