Wednesday 12 April 2017

Cyprus summary

So...what did I think overall?

As I sit here at home having just took Bud a walk in 8c and heavy cloud, the first thought that springs to mind is...get me back there! That's not going to happen, so let's move on.

Again, apologies in advance for repetition, there I've done it again!

How to approach this review? I've decided to take the site route, chronologically. So, to start with a few shots from around our hotel and my first trip to Anarita Park (I was determined to familiarize myself with this site).

OK, up early for a walk around the hotel gardens... and adjacent rough ground...


Poppies in March!
...before breakfast. The light was poor and it was overcast and quite cool at 6.30am. I heard some unfamiliar chirping coming from a tall palm tree. Spanish Sparrows! They were very elusive and extremely active but eventually I managed to "catch" them albeit in very poor light. The males are very distinctive but the females less so. In fact...


mmmmmmmmmm! Would this be ID'd in Britain...or even looked for?!

There is slight evidence of "grey streaking on whiter underparts". Anyway...a male...


He'd just had a bath! Great to have a notable bird by the Hotel. I also recorded Sardinian Warbler...


Stonechat (more on those later), Common Sandpiper and Shag...


oh, and of course, the ubiquitous Hooded Crow...


..and Kestrel...


As I was returning to meet Louise I noticed a distinctive Wheatear...

Desert Wheatear
A BIG bonus on my first sorte. A star you might say...one of many.


Finished the session with a dapper White Wagtail...


After a magnificent breakfast we headed to Anarita Park equipped with print out maps and information kindly provided by Dave Walker.

I found the entrance track easily but it was the overall area I was interested in familiarising myself with. We drove around for a while until I'd convinced myself I knew where I was going! Nothing of note was seen.


Then it was time for (free) lunch, so we drove up to a viewpoint which looked back over Paphos and enjoyed the view. I then heard some unfamiliar scratching noises? I like to think I'm familiar with SAWA so I was definitely interested in the source. Sylvia Warblers are notoriously secretive and I couldn't get any kind of view from the solitary bush? I've become very familiar with my cheap and cheerful camera by now (even if the viewfinder has problems). A few setting changes and bingo I had some photos.

Confirmed...Cyprus Warbler...


It never did leave the bush while I was there (c1hr).

The rest of the afternoon was Louise's...

No comments: