Monday, 3 August 2026

Beach and Sea

After sorting a few things out in the Garden we headed for the Tip and then Tesco. Louise loves a "Meal Deal" so I ended up joining the Prawn Sandwich brigade! We then headed for the Cliff to enjoy our Lunch. A few Hirundines were about with both Sand and House Martin alighting on the Clifftop right by the Car. Gannets were feeding spectacularly offshore.

After dropping her off at home ...I returned for another session...this time with Bins and Camera...

The tide was on the turn and there were some nice sandbanks showing by the waters edge. After around 30 minutes a large group of Terns arrived from the North. Mainly Sandwich (with many juveniles) but they included a few Arctic (P.84, H.63) and Common (P.85, H.64). They landed a few hundred yards to the North...

I was hoping they may eventually move further South as the tide started to come in. Eventually my wish was granted as they settled directly out from my car at c40 yards...



I then heard a familiar repeated note but I couldn't see them? Then...there they were...

7 Whimbrel (H.65)

Things were going well regarding my new initiative! Things got even better when another flock of Whimbrel appeared...

This time they numbered 13...or so I thought? They landed on the beach directly opposite the car...



Clearer on this cropped photo


You may have noticed my error? I only noticed the rogue Bird when I downloaded my pics. I have a Bar-tailed Godwit amongst the Whimbrel. In my defence the flock came in quick and I was trying to get photos. Also, when the Bird was on the beach it had its Bill tucked in. Honest!

Today fueled me for the Autumn to come. Some fresh tactics will be employed to try and freshen things up and unearth new records...

No comments: