Birds on the move now and it's time to freshen things up. I'm adapting a more consistent approach to my Patch coverage to build a fuller Annual picture both Coastal and Inland. The reward of finding a "good" Patch Bird far exceeds the completion of a Twitch in my Book. However I will still venture when I feel the need. Selective... and all that. Age is definitely affecting my perspective (3 months to the BIG 70) and that's fine. Things change. I'm just glad I'm still here! I'm still interested in most aspects of this wonderful Pastime and will continue to pursue them with vigour.
The Blue-cheeked Bee-eater is still present on North Ronaldsay
A slow week locally with a few health checks involved. All done now. I met Haydn on Friday at Duff (I did have a VERY quiet couple of hours on Wednesday). Before he arrived I had a walk out towards the Platform...
![]() |
| View from the Bridge |
Quiet again which was expected but always a pleasure enjoying the view and the company. Watching a Hare chase a mobbing Marsh Harrier for a good 5 minutes was "different" We managed a brief viewing of a Cygnet with a Parent through the thick vegetation on the Scrape.
Most of the hay has been collected now and it was "Corvid City" out on the Carrs. We discussed possible migrants that may appear (as Birders do). Much checking of fence posts took place without any luck. Green Sandpiper was also mentioned, although chances here are slim with no exposed mud. Always the chance of a flight view though?
Around 12.30 that's exactly what Haydn got as a Bird flew low, briefly, just above the Riverbank! Of course yours truly didn't get "on it". Gripped again...but no big deal.
I left for the Coast at 1 and headed for the Cliff. Low tide was later now (6pm) so nothing of note on the Beach. I gave it till 5 but still no joy. I had a stretch before leaving and noticed a small Bird flying low across the shingle, flicking its wings. Only my 5th Common Sandpiper (P.87, H.66) for the Village and my 3rd August record. It flew around the Cliff and I couldn't relocate it.
The downs and ups of Patch Birding in a Nutshell.


No comments:
Post a Comment