Thursday, 13 August 2026

The Summer of 26

It's been a hot one! I'm old enough to remember the Summer of 76 which I enjoyed as a Waiter on the Isle of Wight at Sandown in the Grand Hotel. Great days!

However FIFTY years on and hopefully without sounding like a grumpy old man (as if I would), I struggle with the heat. Fortunately I live on the Coast which moderates the temperature somewhat but it can still get "toasty". Great for holidays though.

On Sunday I had my first flock of Scoter (P.88, H.69) South (still no Velvet). After my recent "Tern Fest" things have dried up apart from the constant presence of Sandwich offshore.

A VERY quiet session at Duff on Monday with Haydn was finally livened up with a feeding Hobby over the Scrape giving fantastic close views as it swooped low over the Pool!

The views were better than this!

After Haydn left I had a visit from Site Manager Craig Ralston and his Assistant. They were eyeing up the Scrape...


Looked promising! They eventually made there way up for a chat. My hopes were confirmed when they told me they intended doing some work on it. Hopefully it will take place shrotly to enable Birds to use it this Autumn. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday a Bar-tailed Godwit landed briefly on the Beach before continuing South...

A Rare sight if not a Rare Bird

Like most Waders they seldom linger...why would they?! You have to BE there. I also had my first returning Dunlin (H.70). The only Birds of note around the car were Meadow Pipits...


and House Sparrows (c30)

A few Pied Flys have arrived down the road but I haven't found one here ...yet...

No comments: