Monday 2 September 2024

Up with the Migrants?

The forecast of East in the wind plus an overnight thunderstorm had me up and out at dawn. Quite a surprise eh... especially for Bud!

In theory, it was promising. In reality it was underwhelming. Never expect... and all that.

After an hour of nothingness I bumped into Richard who had produced the same outcome. After a team talk he headed North and immediately found a Wheatear and a Whinchat, the latter tempted me through the stubble for a VERY distant view. Richard had it closer initially.

After returning home I had another effort to the South. I parked up and scanned a small area by the Cliff for some 30 minutes. Again nowt.

We were heading into Hull at 9.30. As I was leaving a small bird materialized in the top of the Sycamore. My camera had decided to change settings but I did manage a record shot before it disappeared...

Spotted Flycatcher (P.121, H.96)

I was really chuffed with this sighting. Patience paid off...this time! 

After our Hull visit which included lunch at the Pub we returned mid-afternoon. As we approached the Village on Snakey I spotted a lone Bird perched on top of the hedge...


I pulled over and had a scan (fortunately I had my gear with me). I had a feeling it was something "good". It was...

Whinchat (P.122, H.97)

I'm aware of my distant morning sighting but this felt more personal and conclusive!? It was also pleasing to have a record away from the Coast, my first on Snakey, I do believe. I guess it could have been the same Bird!?

My enthusiasm has been fired...

No comments: