Tuesday 3 September 2024

Searchin'

 Buoyed by yesterday's success, I once again rose early and headed down Seaside to the Paddock. Surprisingly and unusually there was a small mixed flock halfway down feeding in the hedge and "rough stuff"...

Blue Tit 8
Great Tit 4
Willow Warbler 2
Blackcap male


Goldfinch 4
Chaffinch male

Nothing special but good sport.

On reaching the Cliff I started to scan. Almost immediately a Merlin (P.121, H.98) powered North offshore, possibly the Bird that Gavin had been seeing at the Sewage? I only had my bins but I could see enough including 2 Arctic Skuas (P.122, H.99) chasing a Sandwich Tern in the traditional way. 


On the way back more visible migration was noted in the form of Blackbirds (10), Robins (8) and Swallows (c50)...

A sample

After a coffee I left Bud for a nap and checked out another area. It was my lucky day...

Redstart

Pied Flycatcher (P.123, H.100)

Both Species were seen immediately on arrival. I had to remind myself I was in Holmpton! As always plenty down the road BUT these were MINE!!! I wasn't going anywhere soon and settled down to enjoy the star duo. Both were elusive but in time (2+ hours) I managed some better photos...

Freshly Bathed


A/the Spotted Flycatcher was also present throughout and typically more obliging...


Point blank views of a female Sparrowhawk shooting through the bushes was a spectacular surprise! I left them in peace at 1.

An afternoon visit to Tesco was in order and I stopped of at the Sewage to enjoy a snack. Again this proved to be a good decision as I immediately heard a Whimbrel (P.124, H.101)! I scanned out to sea and picked it up heading North offshore. It never ceases to amaze me how far calls can travel...even to my ageing ears! I lost it behind the parked JCB but I could still hear it. Remarkably it had flown over my car and was heading West...inland. I just manged to grab a record shot through the window...


As I was leaving the earlier site I saw the Spotted Flycatcher sitting motionless on a snag at the back of the bush. It was in deep shade. I managed to get a focused pic through the bush and was amazed how well it turned out. These modern bridge cameras are truly amazing...


A great day.

Over to the LDV tomorrow to meet Haydn. A Skippy/Duff double is in order...

No comments: