Saturday 28 September 2024

Pale-legged Leaf Warbler

A puzzling and VERY elusive phyllosc had been present at Bempton since Wednesday. Initially thought to be an Arctic Warbler, it then transformed into a "possible" Eastern Crowned Warbler. Things developed, no doubt due to some diligent work locally (including recordings), to establish that the mystery Bird was indeed a PALE-LEGGED LEAF WARBLER!!!

It broke too late yesterday evening for an attempt, so I slept on it... lightly!

I decided to "wait for news"... for a number of reasons...

  • I figured it would be a tad lively first thing!
  • It would obviously save a trip and money, if it had moved on.
  • A later attempt would hopefully mean more room at the site?
  • If present, it would be there all day... probably.

Positive news came through first thing. I left home at 10.30 and arrived at Noon. The organisation was first class at Bempton. They had opened additional fields and the marshalls were effective and polite.

I descended into the car park area and had a walk around before deciding where to view from. I chose an open area which allowed a decent open view into the bushes. After only 5 minutes someone picked it up!!! I had a brief but unsatisfactory (and unidentifiable) flight view.

I gave it another 30 minutes but no joy. I decided to have a stroll around the paths. Birders where still present in good numbers (c150) as the Bird was proving VERY elusive and mobile. Many familiar faces were noted.

An hour passed with no sightings for yours truly although others had connected. I think en positioned myself adjacent to a couple of decent sized groups...and scanned from there, figuring "more eyes" would help.

Around 2.30 I noticed a tight cluster focussing intently into another reasonably open area. I listened to the conversations. A rat trap was mentioned as a locator. I couldn't even find that!!

Further prompts eventually led to a decent lead and I focussed on some ivy at eye level c20yds away. A few minutes passed...then there it was. I had the Bird, albeit briefly.

A couple of gentle nudges from staff regarding encroachment were taken well by the admirers.

So, success!

A First (live) for Britain and obviously Yorkshire. The occasion was enhanced by the wonderful Autumnal weather, bright sunshine and little wind. Perfect!

No comments: