Tuesday 3 October 2023

YELLOW WARBLER on Tiree

Made it back at 1.30am in atrocious conditions on the A66 and East of. VERY happy though. A truly great adventure with a positive result. The usual Roller Coaster ride but not the Pepsi Max...this time!


This tale starts on Sunday evening as I left home around 9pm with Louise's full blessing as always. She's my greatest supporter. I made it up onto the A66 without issues and settled down in a lay-by at 11 for 4 hours kip...which I managed no problem.

I made it to the car park at Glasgow Airport (290 miles) just after 6. Check in was smooth and I was soon on the shuttle bus to the Airport. I checked in early, "did" security and had breakfast at Starbucks. I entertained myself by people watching until my gate opened.

As we waited for the "shout" I noticed another passenger who looked "odds on" a Birder but I didn't interject...yet. Then an announcement..."Would anyone be prepared to give up there place and travel from Edinburgh"!!! I didn't volunteer. Fortunately a lady did, otherwise it was "last checked in doesn't go". New one on me but apparently I was informed by an Islander that this scenario is a regular occurrence? Note to self and maybe to some of you? I then confirmed the "other Birder"  and had a joke with him about the announcement. I asked him how he was getting to the Site (c5 miles from the Airport) and told him I'd tried ringing for a taxi without success. He informed me he'd hired a car. Happy days (I shared the cost).

We departed on time and arrived around 9.45 after a bumpy flight through a nasty squall to add to the fun? 

The Birder's name was Ian Kendall (he was great company throughout the day). He sorted out the paperwork for the car and we were soon heading to the Site at Kilmaluaig. On arrival it immediately became apparent...we were on our own! We were both 100% certain we were at the right location so we started to search the area which basically consisted of a couple of houses and a community centre with small back gardens.There were a few bushes and small trees but not a great area to search...thankfully!




For the record: At no time were the gardens entered.

It was quite windy which didn't help but it wasn't a gale and it eased off at times. Then...we saw it...only in flight but a yellow bullet powerfully flew across our view and promptly disappeared. We got a brief repeat but that was all in the first hour!

Ian had a couple of mates arriving on the Ferry at 11 so he went to pick them up and I continued searching alone...yes...alone! Not quite Mainland.

A couple more Birders suddenly appeared...and yes...got on it immediately! I had my first perched view...fleetingly. It was VERY active. Ian returned with his mates and the 6 of us continued searching. The bird was seen briefly in many areas but was never still. I was hoping for a photo but as it approached Noon I was beginning to think I wasn't going to be successful. This was a typical "shot" during this period...


Then, one of the others picked it up in the clump of Bushes in pic 2 above...

Gotcha!

No award winner BUT I had my "record shot". I can't emphasize enough how "skittish" this bird was despite its powerful demeanor. More searching...and hoping. Then one of the others chaps picked it up again at the far end of the second garden in the Pittosporum...

c40 yards


A bright yellow bird was obviously easier to pick out than a LBJ, especially against a green background. It wasn't there long!

Getting clear views into the gardens was very difficult (we did have approval). The fence was high and even though there were gaps, it was a limited view. Ian and his mates wanted to try for the Baird's Sandpiper and Red-eyed Vireo and were discussing the plan when it appeared again in a small tree in the first garden. Despite the limited view through the planks I finally managed something decent...

Don't forget to click

I'd seen it well now so I joined them for a ride around Tiree. It's a large Island and an addition to my "Island list" for Britain. We found the Baird's Sandpiper but despite intensive searching at Glebe House...




...we just couldn't locate the Vireo...unfortunately, despite a late shout from one of the local Birders. Still, the main prize had been secured. Ian said goodbye to his mates who were staying overnight and we headed for the Airport...elated!

Incredibly this was my FOURTH American Warbler addition in 10 days!!! You know my thoughts on balance, savouring the moment and the prospective future...BUT I've still got a few to go that have occurred already...

GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER
TENNESSEE WARBLER
HOODED WARBLER
NORTHERN PARULA
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER
WILSON'S WARBLER

and hopefully one or two that haven't?


My luck continued today as the Grey Phalarope at Hemingbrough was still present when I popped over. Glad it waited for me! It was my 238th Species for the York Area. This doesn't make me "good", it just makes me "old"!

No comments: