Saturday 21 October 2023

Scilly 23 - Day 9

Today summed up the exciting unpredictability of Scilly for me. I'll try and do the sequence of events justice..without being too Bias...hopefully!

I admit to a slow start. A gentle stroll along Porthcressa fueled by the report of a Great Northern Diver in the Bay. I saw it straight away...at distance and intermittently, as it was doing its characteristic long dives...


I decided to have a stroll down to Morning Point at the end of the Garrison to try and get a better photo. I took the tradesman's entrance...


Once on the path...a message over the Radio. "Heron...which Species"? This had me interested! "Purple over the Airfield". Fortunately I was in a position to see the Bird, albeit distantly heading North. A Scilly Tick!

As I walked passed Lower Broome Platform I looked through the trees to try and see the Diver. Eventually I found it...


A few more of this fine beast...

Great Northern Diver

On reaching Morning Point I enjoyed the view...

Porthcressa Bay

West to St Agnes

I noticed another Birder looking out over the Bay. I asked if he knew about the GND and he said he did. Another Radio message... "Surf Scoter just flown into Porthcressa Bay"! A/The Bird had been touring the Island for the past couple of days but had been very mobile. I hadn't tried for it...so this slice of luck could be VERY handy? Further excellent info' over the radio guided me to the area where the Scoter was and I was soon viewing it again through the thick cover on the East side of the Garrison. Fortunately I managed to get a clear view, albeit briefly...


The Bird flew off immediately after I took this photo'.

After Lunch we headed down up to Buzza Tower...



...then down Peninnis for the afternoon. It became immediately apparent that there was an increase in Winter Thrushes and I saw my first Fieldfares amongst the Redwings...


Still no luck with Ring Ouzel though (there are a few about).

As I walked South...yep...another Radio message..."Osprey over the Health Centre"!!! A quick scan and there it was being inevitably mobbed by Crows...



Just made it in the gloom. Only my second record for the Islands. Louise headed back to the Flat and I hung around a while longer but no RO. I eventually made my way back down from Buzza and had a quick look on the Rocks at the East end of Porthcressa...

Black Redstart

Nice finish. I'd still like to see a male though!

Of course I like to find my own...and boy am I trying BUT the Radio is an excellent tool that enables instant information that the WhatsApp group can't match, especially with brief flight sightings. Both are VERY much appreciated!

Questionable Buntings and Warblers elsewhere. Who cares...I don't!

Trip Total - 83 Species


No comments: