Thursday 26 October 2023

Scilly 23 - Day 14

Last FULL Day. I persuaded Louise to join me for a visit to Tresco (10.30- 3.15) despite the uncertain forecast; it was good to get "off Island" once more before we leave. I had the traditional stroll along Porthcressa first thing to blow away the cobwebs from last night's visit to the wonderful Atlantic. We even won the quiz...of sorts!

Yet again it was a fabulous dawn...mild and sunny with no wind...

Little Porth

I picked up a couple more Black Redstarts and enjoyed this dapper Dunnock basking in the early morning sun...


We disembarked at Carn Near which meant a good walk to...the Cafe at Tresco Gardens! We managed to get there before the shower. Nice cake!

We then did acircuit around the Great Pool. No luck with the Great Spotted Woodpecker or Male Golden Pheasant but we did have great views of a Red Squirrel, far cuter than the Grey...


The flora along this road is spectacular and a treat to see...a Sub-tropical paradise...


We reached the first viewpoint over the lake and a proper bench...


I couldn't add anything to the Trip List from this vantage point. We continued around the Lake to the Swarovski Hide. Here I added Black-tailed Godwit...


...and Pochard...


As we reached the far end of the Lake I started to reminisce. I do this a lot during my visits. I have so many great memories of Birds seen on these Islands. It always adds to my visits. A couple of examples from today...

AMERICAN ROBIN...House and fields...2006


The other memory is VERY special indeed. Even more so as the Years roll by. In 1996 I made a 2 day visit to Scilly to try for a VERY SPECIAL Bird. I had two young lads and it was during my half-term holiday. I took the boat across to Tresco and had vague directions on where the Bird was located. I was ON MY OWN!!!

I walked the path along the side of the Great Pool as I did today. I tried a couple of spots that I thought were correct with no luck. The third short path had around half-a-dozen mature trees. Feeding happily in one of them was a...BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER. Bearing in mind it's now TWENTY SEVEN years later, I'm pretty sure this was the spot...


This was obviously the pre-digital camera era but the memories are etched in my brain. I spent an amazing hour watching this legendary Species...I repeat...ON MY OWN!!! A couple among many reasons I keep coming back.

I've now seen 96 Species for the Trip. I'll be trying to break the Ton tomorrow.

No comments: