Friday 20 October 2023

Scilly 23 - Day 8

After exiting our flat and settling into our "second home" we ventured up onto Peninnis to try for the reported Ring Ouzel. The weather was unsettled but we were wrapped up and continued down towards the Lighthouse. Louise tucked herself away on Harold Wilson's Memorial Bench...


...by the extremely effective Pittosporum (there for a reason) and I searched the fields. I saw my first Redwings (c8)...


...and Blue Tit and there were large numbers of Meadow Pipits, Linnets and Chaffinches.  No luck with the RO or a possible Brambling. A Merlin rocketing over the Lighthouse was another first for the Trip. 

After lunch the wind picked up and by 4pm it was 50K. I wouldn't have fancied being on the returning 4.30 boats from St Agnes and Tresco! The Pelagic must have been lively also. Still, if you've the stomach for it, fair play.

I had a walk to Porthloo Boat Yard this afternoon to look for the reported Redstart. Unsurprisingly I didn't locate it. It had more sense than I did and had undoubtedly moved on! I stopped for shelter on the return as the wind became Gale Force...

A rare sighting!

A quiet day and the ideal moment for the half-time team talk. I'm not doing great on Waterfowl and Seabirds but a proper trip to Tresco and some time spent at the end of Peninnis, should sort that out.

Whilst up on Peninnis I bumped into a mature Birder and stopped for a chat. He didn't look very happy and told me he'd missed the BOBOLINK and "hadn't seen much else"? It reminded me of an occasion Years ago when I bumped into another acquaintance who'd been here for a week and looked less than pleased as he was about to leave after a quiet week. For me they're missing the point. They should be grateful they are ON Scilly. Many still on the Mainland would gladly swap places if their circumstance were different. Just ENJOY it... it's a looooooong Winter!

You've read my Rudyard Kipling quote on more than one occasion!!!

Time for the second half...

Trip Total - 77 Species

No comments: