Tuesday 24 October 2023

Scilly 23 - Day 12

Finally made the trip to the end of Peninnis this morning as there were reports of Cory's and Sooty Shearwaters passing. I took the usual steep but short path up past Buzza Hill...


No CLIFF SWALLOW or CHIMNEY SWIFT this morning!

Unfortunately there were no reports of the heavily flooded path and the fenced off area at the end with cattle grazing? I had 30 minutes but didn't see any Shearwaters...



On the way down I checked the Pig Field and surrounds. I picked out some Winter Thrushes in the gloom but still no Ouzel?


I didn't fancy taking the flooded path on again to I walked East around the Coastal footpath to Old Town Bay. The sun came out...


I made my way down to the Churchyard and sat on one of our favourite benches overlooking the Bay. It was like summertime now. I gave Louise a ring and she joined me from Hugh Town. Aftre around 30 minutes...a message...

Red-breasted Flycatcher on the lower part of the Peninnis Trail. After yesterday's performance on the Garrison I was reluctant to make the move. However it was only a couple of hundred yards from where we were sat! The directions were excellent and I arrived at the "second gate" to find that there was no-one there? I looked up and spotted a bird "flicking about". There it was in the open in bright sunshine. Bliss!

It performed beautifully for me for 10 minutes. A couple of other Birders eventually arrived and I put them "on" the Bird before rejoining Louise. Without question my best ever experience with this generally elusive Species. Right place, right time.

First view. I think I was being watched

Bit of a Cutie!


I then spent 30 minutes Birding the Churchyard adding Blackcap (a male) to the Trip List...

Harold Wilson is buried here

After Lunch I succumbed to a Butterfly Twitch! News had been circulating all morning about an American Painted Lady along Sandy Lane. The field was to be re-opened again at 3pm, so I made the significant walk from Hugh Town...eventually! I arrived just after 3 to see a small group of admirers stooped over a small area in the centre of the field. I was helped onto the Butterfly by "Higgo" one of the local Birders (many thanks). Unfortunately by the time I had my camera on it, it had closed its wings...still smart though...


 Less than 30 records for Britain apparently. A Green Darner dragonfly also did a couple of circuits of the field...another Rarity from America. I have to admit my interest in these two areas is limited but I hope I appreciated the occasion.      

However, this was the star for me...


My luck had finally changed regarding this Species and it was worth waiting for.

Trip Total - 88 Species

No comments: