Tuesday 18 April 2023

Hooded Crow

I needed some inspiration to kick start the "Patch Birding". Yesterday evening I got it, thanks to the local WhatsApp grapevine...

18.49 Hooded Crow on Hollym Airfield per Tim Isherwood 

Definitely high on my "There'll be another" List. 

Grabbed my gear, into the "shootingbrake", up Seaside and along the With' road. It' was a VERY gloomy evening here but fortunately still light enough. As I approached the Sewage a single bird was on the Main road. Fortunately it's not a busy one. I've seen a lot (far too many) of Crows over the Years BUT not many like this...in England of course. I pulled over and the Bird flew onto an adjacent field...


The situation was ever so slightly surreal, having still got the "Cyprus vibe" (I'd seen plenty there), driving through the gloom and immediately coming across a Holmpton Tick (190...I think!). Fortunately it only flew a short distance onto the side road to Hollym Village. I pulled into a convenient layby and noticed the bird ahead of me at some 50 yds distance. There was another car facing me in the next layby. I wasn't sure if it was another Birder. I took a few more pics and then the car came past me flushing the Bird. I didn't recognize the driver. I couldn't relocate it although I did try till dusk. Gavin (thanks again pal) also had a go but no joy.



It will never cease to fascinate me, how these precious moments occur in the most varied of circumstances. Time allowed, distance involved, chance sighting etc etc. Our secret world never fails to amaze!

Holmpton Year 77

No comments: