Wednesday 12 April 2023

Cyprus 23 - Overview (2)

What else?

Familiarity

I improved my knowledge of the Island and its Birds; which was one of my main aims. This obviously enhances the experience and saves time. Google Maps was invaluable when linked to eBird, although it did take me along some interesting tracks at times! It saved me hours. Ebird is a wonderful resource. By selecting the Cyprus map with all Sites, I was able to check (when needed) recent and historical sightings from all areas.

Old friends and Acquaintances

It was nice to see Birders I'd met in the past again. Ian and Kate Bloomer, Jonathan Wasse, Matt Smith, Jane Stylianou, John Lovatt and Colin Richardson. I also spoke to Bill Stacey over the phone. I also got to know a few new faces like Jarrod Hadfield, who found a Cinereous Bunting and the Bar-tailed Lark, amongst others!

ID Issues

Hard to believe I know but I made a few errors! The best way of learning in my book. In my defence, trying to identify tricky birds in the field can be...tricky. Looking later at photos on the laptop in your armchair is much more conducive to a correct outcome...hopefully! Inexperience with certain Species also can lead to confusion, as can the amazingly bright light which can change the appearance of certain Species. Tiredness can also play a part if I'm honest...which I like to think I am. Is that enough excuses? ...lol!


A few examples...

1) A Strange Lark/s
Whilst watching the Collared Pratincole at Lark's Corner, Mandria a couple of Larks dropped in, fairly close to the car...


I like to think I'm pretty familiar with Skylark BUT this bird didn't look like the Skylarks I see at Holmpton, granted photos can be deceptive. It looked smaller (scale can always be an issue...at least for me), paler (bright light) and round-headed. It did suggest Lesser Short-toed Lark (which has now been split Turkestan/Mediterranean) with the streaked breast. Granted on reflection the bill is a problem? All told the combination of factors and my inexperience with LSTL combined to cause a headache. These two birds even caused headaches for local Birders, so I felt better about that. An interesting learning experience which will hopefully help in future?Oh, they were Skylarks!!

2) Black and White Flycatchers

I was hoping to see a SEMI-COLLARED...I think I may have mentioned that! The power of suggestion struck again at Androlikou. Having seen a stunning Collared here (still present on this visit), I returned a few days later hoping to see one. Matt Smith had seen two the previous week! After a fair while I spotted a B&W Flycatcher briefly, without a full collar. I've seen a few Pied over the Years (although not THAT many) and started the re-find. I eventually saw it again briefly before it disappeared.

Pied Flycatcher

How much collar? The point being, when you know there's a chance of "something else" you can convince yourself..."it might be"? On reflection the markings on the body suggest otherwise. Another good learning experience. Large white patch on primary bases and more white on outer tail...apparently.

3) Black and White Wheatears

A glimpse of one at Anarita Park. The bird appeared completely Black and White in the (again) blazing light.


A white wedge was clearly seen. Hints of Finsch's? Then...


Better views later. A stunning bird nonetheless...

(Pale- throated) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear

The Balance?

The crux of my Trips I guess. I like to chase BUT I also like to wait!? So I do both... with Louise's kind approval...of course. According to my dubious counting, I "twitched" SIX birds, 2 were of significant distance... DIEDERIK CUCKOO and BAR-TAILED LARK. I also had a couple of days out with Phil to East and Central areas. We visited 5 main areas on our days out. I totalled around 2,500 miles in 23 days. Some would say too much, some not. I must admit I pushed it on occasions...but I certainly enjoyed it regardless...as I have the full backing of my wonderful Wife. 

Full List



151 Species

No comments: