Tuesday 11 April 2023

Cyprus 23 - Overview (1)

Had some kip now, done some Housework (modern man...ish) and most importantly, picked my lads up from the Kennel/Cattery. My pets are more important than ANY Birding Trip...the bill tells me that!

As already mentioned, it was a great Trip. For the/my record I recorded 151 species on reflection and saw 3 Lifers...namely...

DIEDERIC CUCKOO 
MENETRIES WARBLER 
BAR-TAILED LARK

I added 11 Species to my Cyprus List...in addition to the above were...

Jack Snipe
Spotted Redshank
Sanderling
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Northern Goshawk
Hume's Warbler
Savi's Warbler
Mourning Wheatear

...bringing my total to 220.

Sites I particularly enjoyed were...in the... 

West...

Baths of Aphrodite
Androlikou
Agia Varvara

Central
Phasouri/Akrotiri Reedbed

East
Cape Greco

Rather than "Best Birds" I'm going to do a "Best Experiences" summary (in chronological order)...which will obviously include Birds....but not necessarily the rarest or "lookers".

Blue Rock Thrush - I had birds at 4 Sites. My first sighting was at Anarita Park on the 17th. This Species oozes class for me. A wonderful indigo blue Thrush that changes shade as the sun catches it. The views Phil and I had on the beach near his Hotel were by far the best I had and was a fantastic shared experience in the sunshine, with no-one else around. The bird performed brilliantly...


Citrine Wagtail - again as previously mentioned, finding birds was my main aim and this was undoubtedly the Rarest bird I unearthed at Agia Varvara on the 19th. I was making my way back to the car having seen very little when this gem appeared right in front of me. A great moment...


Ruppell's Warbler - Always a class act this one. I saw quite a few during the trip but my experience with this bird across the road from our apartment on the 20th was by far the most memorable and satisfying; took a while...


Black-bellied Sandgrouse - a call from Ian Bloomer (thanks pal) on the afternoon of the 22nd around 2.30, alerted me to the fact he'd found a single bird at Mandria. Fortunately we were only 10 minutes away! Excellent directions from Ian enabled me to locate him...and it...fairly quickly. An excellent addition to my Cyprus List and a cracking Bird to boot. An exciting "twitch"...and so close...


I obtained far better views with Phil the next day, when we came back from Akrotiri...

Wonderful Bird and experience

Garganey - before we left for the BBS we had amazing views of a large flock off the West side of the Peninsular. After "eeking" out singles every once in a while back home (time I had another at Duff) the sight of a huge flock was really something...


DIEDERIK CUCKOO - after a mini-twitch with Phil, this was a full blown one for an exceptionally Rare Bird on the 24th. The FULL story is here but worth repeating the "jist" for this summary. After a tense hour help from Matt Smitth enabled me to connect with the Bird. Phew. It's still around as I write. Not to know that though...obviously! This pic sums up the elusive behaviour of the bird; I have to say that because it's the best I could get...

This Species seems to have several different spellings!

Audouin's Gull - I tried two Sites with the help of Jane Stylianou on the way back from the Cuckoo and the second one at Kermia Beach paid off...


Better views were obtained with Phil on the 28th...

A smart, scarce and distinctive Gull

Also on the 28th at the Cuckoo site, Phil found this gorgeous Woodchat Shrike. Definitely worth another mention...


Collared Pratincole - Back to the 25th (if you're still with me). This Species was another that was going to be "on the cusp"...or so I thought? A message from Jonathan Wasse (thanks pal) informed me there was a bird in the newly ploughed field (Larks corner) at Mandria. Being local (fortunately), I made the journey in no time and connected with this superb bird. It sat in the field for a while (looking remarkably pale in the bright sunshine) , it then gave stunning flight views over the area for a good 20 minutes. Brilliant!


Northern Goshawk - A trip North West on the 27th found us heading through Androlikou on our way to the Baths of Aphrodite. As we passed the Goat Farm we stopped for a break. This was Louise's "What's that"? moment...as she spotted this in the distance, gliding low over the trees...

Any Goshawk sighting is a good sighting. Right?

A major surprise.

Griffon Vulture - I HAD to try for this Species at Kensington Cliffs on 30th. I'd read reports that there were double figure numbers present now (re-introduction scheme?). I only found a single bird during our 5 hour stint... but one is better than none!


Collared Flycatcher
- A return trip to Androlikou on the 31st acting on information, again, from Matt Smith, found me searching the trees in front of the Goat Farm where I managed to find this stunner...


No luck with SCF but honestly I couldn't have cared less after spending time with this corker!

Great Spotted Cuckoo - First bird I saw at Agia Varvara on 1/4. At last! A species I'd had great difficulty in connecting with until now. Made it all the sweeter...


Black-eared Wheatear - Had some fun with this one, as initial views suggested Finsch's (more on ID in the next post). There are two forms...black-throated and white-throated (for the uninitiated). This individual on April 1st was white-throated and seen well...eventually! A superb individaul first seen around a house then remarkably seen later on the lower track...HAD to be the same bird for me...


Showing well...


Hume's Warbler - more on-line news next day revealed the discovery of a Yellow-browed Warbler at Paphos Headland on the Archaeological Site. Later it became clear the bird had been present for several days? With some help I managed to see and photograph the bird. It was later revealed that the bird was in fact a Hume's Warbler, the first for Cyprus. My pic even made it onto Tarsiger...fame at last...lol!


Cyprus Scops Owl - Good fun at dusk on 3/4. I returned to a Village North of Paphos where I'd previously seen this Species. The site "came back to me" on arrival and the Owls struck up around 7.30. I flight view was followed by great views of two birds by a dead tree stump...


Purple Heron - I was hoping to see something dramatic regarding Vis Mig. On April 5th I got it. I was having a steady stroll around the Headland when a group of 15 appeared and cruised the area for over an hour! A truly spectacular sight.


Bar-tailed Lark - BIG finish day on the 7th started with a rather early drive across the Island to Cape Greco. A walk along the Nature trail was rewarded with a Lifer!!!


A tame bird with a subtle plumage. A very smart bird indeed.

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater - The final sighting of my Trip and what a Bird/s. Nine of these beauties on wires at the Lower Esousos. A fitting and spectacular finale...


As well as the Hits, I'll also mention the "Misses" (birds I had a good chance of) for balance!

Ruddy Shelduck - on the cusp
Bittern
Avocet
Ringed Plover
Little Ringed Plover
Greater Sand Plover - very few reports
Whimbrel 
Curlew
Pallid Harrier
Buzzard
Little Owl
Siskin
Short-toed Treecreeper
Sand Martin
Rock Thrush - biggest miss
Song Thrush

There were other possibilities but these gave me the best chance during my "window" IMHO.

My next post will contain ID issues, plus more reflections on my 6th visit to this great Birding Island. Stay tuned...

No comments: