Monday 6 June 2022

Texas 22 - Summary (1)

Where to begin..without repeating myself! 

Well...it was GREAT!!! Definitely enhanced by the COVID enforced break. The Air B&B's were superb. The strategy went well and I was more than satisfied with the Birds I saw. Experiencing a decent number of "falls" was truly stunning.We found the "two base" idea better than the charging around of previous trips (although that WAS exciting)...no doubt an age thing!

The contrast between the two Islands helped to spice things up over the 24 days. Less variety of Sites on SPI but easier access and general viewing. Galveston is an Island you can really "Bird". Without "harping on" too much (hopefully) the feeling of nostalgia was strong and extremely pleasing. 

The general atmosphere around all Sites visited was friendly and accommodating with eBird and Google Maps proving invaluable again, saving me no amount of time whilst still allowing me freedom of decision. The infrastructure is second-to-none, which again saves time in between Sites. 

The volume of Birds and views obtained also enhances the Trip. Herons, Egrets, Spoonbills line the ditches and are quite approachable and in good numbers. It's not uncommon to see double figures together on numerous occasions throughout a single day! Very little time was wasted due to inclement weather (although some storms are welcome to drop Birds down) which was very good news for Louise...and therefore ME!

A few Stats...just a few...

I saw 225 species...give or take a dodgy ID.I added 2 Texas Ticks... Sooty Tern 


...and Limpkin


This brought my Texas List to 473

Next, I'll post a selection of photos built around key Moments/Birds from the Trip, mixed in with a few more pearls of wisdom!

No comments: