Thursday 2 June 2022

Lizard Buzzard - Full Story

I went!

Why? Well, it could have...might be... something...different!? An insurance move...and a lovely Coastal walk on a beautiful morning.

I found a suitable spot on Tuesday evening and settled down for a few hours kip, despite the circling Army helicopter! After a slight hiccup regarding the dreaded parking meter, we set off along the SW Coastal path from Kynance Cove NT at 6am.


A couple of serious gullies tested the false joints but I made it after a couple of hours. The views were spectacular in this remote location...




I spotted a lump on a wall...


I made my way along a footpath to try and gain a better view...


Of course, the bird had moved! After around 30 minutes the bird appeared briefly again flying away from me at c200 yds and I managed a few distant pics ..




So, there you go I'd seen it? I was the only Birder present...which I found...surprising!? Maybe it's me. I waited till Noon but didn't see it again. I did send these BOC shots to RBA and they put the news out as a "possible". 

For what it's worth my brief view suggested a longer-winged/tailed bird than the rather compact Buzzard I'm used to seeing around Holmpton? 

Back home now so here are some proper pics...



Long-winged and tailed?

Then again?

I was fully aware of my "power of suggestion" mantra and I'm certainly not claiming anything. An interesting bird though. We enjoyed the adventure...and that's what it's all about...isn't it?

He waited patiently...


...but eventually gave up...

A rare sight indeed

Fully recovered

No comments: