Wednesday 29 June 2022

Isabelline Shrikes?

It seems I don't have a tick?

Life used to be much simpler, a consequence of age...no doubt! The longer you live, the more change you see...an inevitability. I saw an immature Isabelline Shrike at Spurn in 1988 which was considered to be a Daurian? The bird was trapped but this was way before the species was split. Confused...I am! So, I have IS on my British and Yorkshire Lists and I ticked the Daurian box on Bubo. Last night I unticked Daurian and ticked Turkestan!!! Even more confused...I definitely am!

Joking apart (hopefully you've got used to my dubious dry humour by now?) this WAS a weird state of affairs. If I've got this correct, the Bempton adult, which seems to be generally accepted as Turkestan/Red-tailed (even more confusing) will now be my tick and I'll have to wait for a confirmed Daurian? Checking RBA records I haven't seen any of the birds listed as accepted Daurian. Hope that's clear!?

You've heard my thoughts on splitting/lumping on too many occasions...so I won't go there....and as fr provenance...well! I tow the line though regarding listing...like a good lad.

Even though "The Shrike" wasn't re-located yesterday morning, somehow it didn't seem to matter when the Superstar is present. I spent a wonderful couple of hours at Staple Nook (after walking Cliff Lane) enjoying crippling views of Albert in glorious conditions. The viewpoint was quiet with plenty of room. It was perfect. I had a good chat with a nice guy from down South which reminded me how far people are travelling to pay homage. So lucky to have him on my "doorstep".

He circled Staple Nook around 8 times from 6.30 before heading off towards the Head mid-morning...a selection...which hopefully gives a feeling of how deceptively fast the bird glided...



Doesn't get any better than this for me. Amazing to have this Bird residing in Yorkshire. Never dreamed it would happen. Well maybe!

As my thoughts drifted towards a "power nap" on returning home my phone informed me the Shrike had been re-found! Take two. On arrival the Bird had disappeared but after a tense 30 minutes it was re-located along the track and everyone had good views although the Bird was very active and mobile...

Another amazing day along the Coast...

Dream Bird

No comments: