Friday 2 July 2021

Tern for the worse

I'd arranged to meet Phil at Southfield Reservoir this morning. I arrived just before 9 and he was already there. The bird (one of them) had just flown off! We set our stalls out and waited...and waited. Rich Willison turned up, it was good to see him. Then another familiar face, a twitching pal, Simon Slade. He'd been tempted back over from Lancs for the ALBATROSS but alas the bird has flown. He'd seen it on Tuesday but the pictures from Wednesday understandably made him return. Again it was good to see him.

We gave it till around 10.30 then headed fror the nearby fishing ponds to try our luck there. Of course the/a bird was then showing back at Southfield! No matter and no show. Phil departed for the NY Moors and I returned home.

On return a message informing me a CT was now at Swillington via Fairburn...maybe. Mobile!! Makes me wonder how many birds are involved here? Gives me a decent chance of a connection soon. Definitely a "good year" for an erratic species.


No comments: