Friday 16 July 2021

Albatross

It's a fine balance between enthusiasm and obsession. I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle...ish!

I DO know that there's a fantastic bird lingering an hour up the Coast from me and I'm going to continue to enjoy it...intermittently. This morning was one such opportunity as the forecast was favourable. After a dawn stroll with Bud I packed up and headed for Bempton...again.

I arrived at 6.30 and headed for "Roll Over" viewpoint. I messaged Trevor to see if he was on site. He replied saying he was on his way but may have some car park duties. I found a spot and waited. Someone mentioned the bird had been seen but had drifted South past Staple Nook. I didn't fancy this particular spot...

I was happy this was a genuine sighting so I decided to go for a stroll. I'd done enough standing around on my previous visits. I passed the "Staple Nook" viewpoint and continued South out of the reserve. along the coastal path. I couldn't see a soul by now and the weather was superb. I started to scan the sea.

After around 15 minutes another Birder appeared out of the sun from the South. He stopped around 50 yards from me. After around 15 minutes he casually called..."the Albatross is coming this way"!!!

...but where?

I was about to scan the sea again when I decided to look where the Birder was looking. He was just looking above him? The nearest bird, right above the Cliff...was the Albatross! It passed right over my head at c10 yards. Magical.

Too close for my camera...until it drifted North...

Classic bowed wings

The King of the Cliffs drifted back towards Staple Nook...

Love the perspective on this one

Bloody Marvellous! 

On reflection this was yet another "Nirvana" moment...can you have two?...lol!  This was all about appreciation. Another indelible memory etched into the ageing grey matter. I've watched thousands of Herring Gulls drift along the modest cliffs at Holmpton over the years...plus a couple of Gannets! Coupled with countless Gannets at Bempton. Then..an Albatross. My walk had paid off...in spades.

A super optimistic further wait of an hour for another pass proved fruitless but I had a bit of fun with the Gannets...




Trevor then messaged me around 9 to say he was on the Staple Nook viewpoint so I made my way back North. I stayed and chatted for a while then we went for a much needed coffee before I made my way home. A brilliant morning.

No comments: