Wednesday 21 July 2021

Bits and Bobs

Local recently...

Peregrine

sp Common Gull

Little Gull smudges at extreme range

Little Gull on the beach

Soaked Rose-coloured Starling at Kilnsea

Yesterday I decided I needed to get somewhere cooler than a scorching Holmpton. Where could I go that might give me some relief from the heat. A place that still has the sea-influence but also has some height and hopefully breeze? Any ideas? Yep...Bempton!

This was a solo trip as I left the lad in the cool of the Cottage. Again the ALBATROSS had gone elsewhere just as I arrived. It had reportedly gone South towards Thornwick Bay. Time for some exercise. An hour later I arrived at TB and saw a lone Birder looking through his scope on one of the promontories. I was hoping he was looking at Albert. He was...it was John McLoughlin. It was good to see him. We had a long chat and also wandered up to Thornwick Pools to see the Great White Egret. The ALBATROSS was just a dot on the sea. Time to retrace my steps. As I set off I noticed another Birder scanning the cliff from distance. It was Brett Richards. After a brief chat i continued NW along the cliff path.

Bempton from Thornwick Bay...


As I reached the reserve again a message came through it was back at Staple Nook. I increased my pace (slightly) and arrived at the viewpoint which thankfully wasn't too busy. The bird was showing; above  the arch albeit at low level. I watched this magnificent bird circle for a good 15 minutes before it disappeared around the cliff to the North. I needed a drink...badly. I'd covered over 6 miles and there wasn't the amount of breeze I'd hoped for! The cafe was just closing but the owner felt sorry for me and allowed me to be the last customer. Much relief!!

I did manage an image from the viewpoint but I spent most of the time watching it through the bins. A wonderful experience that you simply cannot tire of...


The bird is unpredictable in its movements which can be frustrating but it makes the connections more satisfying somehow. How long it will remain is anyone's guess but I feel it will linger into next month at least. I hope that's not jinxed things!

This morning I had a pleasant hour at the Sewage (if that's possible). As I scanned the beach a smart adult Yellow-legged Gull appeared...





Also resting on the beach briefly were 3 Common Terns (P.120, H.113)...



Then 7 Bar-tailed Godwits (P.121, H.114) headed South, closely followed by 40 Oystercatchers. The Little Owl was peeping at me through the haze...


Whilst scanning Intack to see how many House Martins were present I noticed 5 Swifts swooping in and around the eaves?  A probable breeding record I feel.

Evening update: An evening stroll with Bud to the second pill box, produced a bonus trio of  Turnstones (P.122,H.115) flying North.

The weather is about to change. Some got lucky from the Yorkshire Belle today. Mmmm....



No comments: