Thursday 13 May 2021

Scarce Visitors

I'd just got to the Runnel when I received a message off Richard informing me he'd found a couple of Lesser Redpoll by the water treatment site on Seaside Road. I was there in 5 minutes but there was no sign of Richard...or the birds. I gave it an hour. 

Further news came from down the road in the form of a Nuthatch at the Warren...a potential Spurn tick! It's one of those species that you just don't feel you're going to connect with...and I didn't! You've got to try though...right?ip to

Next was a trip to a site in With' to try for "the" Long-eared Owl which had been reported again. I was unsuccessful although I did enjoy the walk in some impressive habitat and added Sedge Warbler (P.103) Willow Warbler (P.104) and Bullfinch (P.105)...

A male through the undergrowth...

...and 2 females overhead.

This afternoon I returned to the Water treatment site without much optimism. I should have had more faith as after around 20 minutes I picked up the pair in the top of a tree. This was only my third record of Lesser Redpoll (P.106, H.101) for the Village after two Autumn singles. After a trip to the Vets to get the stitches removed from our free-roaaming Siamese, I had a stroll down to the sea. The decision paid off when I spotted a pair of Tufted Ducks (P.107, H.102) drifting South, fairly close in...only my second record after a male on 4/9/18...


No comments: