Saturday 15 May 2021

A day and a half!

Over to the York Area yesterday to bird with Haydn. Three sites birded. 

Firstly to Bank Island to try for the Garganey that had been reported there recently. It's been quite a few years since I visited this site. We had a pleasant hour there in superb nartural surroundings but the Garganey didn't want to play.

Then it was on to Skipwith, his Patch. I didn't see any Tree Pipits on my last visit, so I was hoping to connect this time. It wasn't to be but we did get good views of Woodlark...


Haydn then picked a couple of birds up on the ground. Eventually one perched on a tree stump...


We also had several flight views.

After grabbing some lunch we made our way down to Duff. Again hoping for Garganey...again disappointed. We checked out both hides. On the way down to Garganey (ironic) hide a pair of Partridges flushed from the set-a-side by the path. I was lugging my bag but Haydn got "on them" and called Grey Partridge. Even with the naked eye I thought the russet rear stood out. We stopped and scanned. We picked up a pair of...Red-legged?! Doubt crept in but we were both convinced we'd seen Grey in flight. The area wasn't that big. Anyway after a few minutes our ID was confirmed...


Just managed to "catch" one before they departed. This was only my second record for the reserve in 35 years...I think. I'll have to check "the thunderer" when I fire her up! The other major event was the number of Swifts and hirundines present. We estimated c300 Swifts and as many Swallows plus good numbers of Sand Martins and a few House Martins. An amazing spectacle. Plenty of flies about. The Whooper Swan was still present and still looking good. Three male Wigeon were notable, as was at least 5 pairs of Gadwall. The pair of Great-crested Grebes were elusive but viewable on occasion.

Good Birding and good company.

........................................................................................

Onto today. After yesterday's marathon I needed a lie in this morning. Fatal. I checked my phone at 8.30 to find that a PURPLE HERON had been seen at Spurn early doors (6.13). A Spurn Tick in the offing. A quick squirt for Bud and I was heading down the road...pronto. When I arrived I asked a chap for the latest and he told me it had flown towards Kilnsea Wetlands. I parked in the car park and another birder told me it had flown into the ditch by Long Bank. 

I decided to walk up to Beacon Ponds so I could have a panoramic view over the area. I could also see the far end of the ditch. After around 15 minutes I was joined by John Harriman, it was good to see him. He joined me sat on the wall and we shared stories and scanned the area hoping for a flight view...our best hope.

We gave it an hour but no joy so we returned to the car park. It was now gone 11 and I needed some food as did John! I also needed to take Bud a proper walk and go to Tesco. Again, always I dilemma to us twitchers. As soon a syou leave...you know what happens! Anyway it had to be done, so I said goodbye to John and headed home while he headed for the cafe.

After doing what had to be done I returned to the site early afternoon. I found a gap in a hedge giving me a view South over Long Bank. Unfortunately my radio charger is playing up, so I was on my own regarding updates. Puts an edge on your scanning! This species can sit in cover for hours and it's hard to keep focused continually. Anyway around 1.15 a "Heron" flew up above the Wetlands. It was the bird!!! Slightly smaller and darker, a more acute neck bulge and splayed toes all confirmed PURPLE HERON...my 314th species for Spurn. The news was put out shorty afterwards as the bird flew over to Sammy's Point. Then John pulled up, he hadn't seen it a she was in the hide! I wished him luck as he headed for Sammy's. I'd been lucky after a dozy start. Chuffed to have picked it up though and mightily relieved after chewing it over all morning.

A lone Whooper Swan on Easington straight is definitely worth a mention also.


No comments: