Thursday 14 March 2019

Texas planning...

Nice choice for this year. Still got my 2000 badge and T-Shirt!
As already mentioned we've decided to base ourselves in Galveston for the whole trip. That doesn't mean we'll BE in Galveston for the whole trip! This area has plenty to offer the Birder...see here. The Featherfest starts on our arrival so lots of eyes looking for Birds. Nice.

During these barren late Winter days, I thought I'd give a general outline to this wonderful area, as I'm still laid up with my thumb injury and it's a bit windy!

Since my first visit in 2000 I've gradually fallen more and more in love with the area...fortunately, so has Louise! We first went together in 2007, touring the Upper Coast. Since then we've been to all areas of this magnificent State. I've racked up 468 species to date but that's only part of the journey. Fantastic scenery, history and wildlife in general has been enjoyed to the full and many friends have been made. I have a few gaps in my State list, some of which I hope to fill this Spring...

White-winged Scoter
MASKED DUCK
Greater-Prairie Chicken
Band-tailed Pigeon
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Broad-billed Hummingbird
NORTHERN JACANA
American Woodcock
Red-necked Phalarope
Red Phalarope
Sabine's Gull
California Gull
Iceland Gull
Glaucous Gull
Sooty Tern
Bridled Tern
JARIBU
Wood Stork
Boobies
Rough-legged Hawk
Flammulated Owl
Northern Pygmy Owl
Spotted Owl
Short-eared Owl
Williamson's Sapsucker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northern Shrike
Yellow-green Vireo
Black-whiskered Vireo
Pinyon Jay
Bobolink
Cape May Warbler
Hermit Warbler
Red-faced Warbler
Baird's Sparrow
Lapland Longspur
Smith's Longspur
McCown's Longspur

I've dipped MASKED DUCK and NORTHERN JACANA on previous trips but although rare, both are possible in April. Some on the list are Western species, so not possible on this trip. I should score with Cape May Warbler, Bobolink and hopefully SEO...at last! A January trip will be necessary to connect with the Rough-legged Hawk, Longspurs and Baird's Sparrow (I'm working on that one). Hopefully something special will turn up during my time window?

Thirty plus species of Warbler are available ALL in glorious Summer plumage. During "a fall" the place is dripping with them. On previous trips I've experienced a few decent arrivals across the Gulf from the Yucatan Peninsular. The plus being they arrive mid-afternoon so no need to get up at stupid-o-clock (dawn will be at 7am...so not so bad really). I've seen warblers dropping into the Oaks at High Island in there hundreds. Ten Blackburnian Warblers in one bush on one occasion!!

I've also booked a couple of surprises for Louise. Nothing to do with birds of course! We'll be spending three nights at Kerrville to enable us to re-visit some of the superb sites in the Hill Country, including Neil's Lodges at Concan and Kerr WMA. I've also booked us a night at Port Aransas to give us another mini break from the Upper Coast. Just hoping we get lucky with the Warblers at the superb Paradise Pond.

My passion for Parallel Birding i.e. BOU/ABA will never diminish. It's all I need nowadays. The internet allows me to follow both closely. The odd selective twitch here and a visit across the pond when funds allow. If they don't, I'll gladly go to Cyprus! My destinations HAVE to be Wife friendly...if you get my drift! That's fine by me as I'm not interested in World listing, roughing it or encountering major hassle. It's a holiday after all.

Wouldn't mind another trip to Alaska mind. Trouble is I'm not sure I'd get Louise up there in June? Maybe I'll get a pass out as a Bucket List retirement treat? Alaska...see what I did there? I can dream. Be nice to break 700 ABA before I depart...

No comments: