Friday 1 March 2019

TENGMALM'S OWL - Conclusion

OK. I'm on the East Coast flyer for 6 hours so I'm going to post a summary of an eventually successful twitch.

Quite a relief!!!!!!

2 days on Shetland gave me plenty of time to reflect... after I'd connected of course!

The roughing it on the Ferry proved just that...and more. I managed about an hours sleep. I wedged myself in a recliner, padded my arm and sat it out. I'd pre-booked a taxi to meet me and off we went around 7.45am Wednesday. I was first there as most of the other potential admirers were sorting their hire cars out.

I made my way up the short driveway and into the garden.

Around 30 birders eventually arrived. Over the next couple of hours the garden was thoroughly searched but the bird couldn't be re-located. The general mood became heavy and some even left, deciding to check out the original site.

I remained, thinking it was still here...somewhere. I gave Trevor Charlton a call and he described exactly where it had roosted yesterday by the rusty wheelbarrow...


I couldn't see it...

Thick cover!
It had reached that point were you start looking in "other areas".

It was gone 10 by now and I was making my way around the pond, which was teaming with Frogs. I've never seen so many!

I then noticed a Birder looking intently through a relatively open area. He then looked over to me and said the immortal words..."

It's HERE!!!

I made my way over and sure enough there it was...
 
FANTASTIC!!!

We were soon joined by the rest and everyone was obviously elated to connect. I didn't observe ANY poor behavior all day. Generous donations were forthcoming to the accommodating owners.

House in the garden
Trevor had told me Mark Thomas was flying up early morning and sure enough he duly arrived and connected. We remained all day hoping for the "dusk show" that Trevor got. It didn't materialize... unfortunately.

Mark dropped me at my B&B and I got some much needed sleep after the obligatory Fish and Chips. We'd agreed to wait for news the following morning then pop back up to see if it was roosting in a more viewable position.

Mark had stayed at his mates place and after picking me up on news around Noon we joined him in the harbour to look for white-winged Gulls...


We couldn't find any but I was more than happy with superb views of Black Guillemot and Long-tailed Ducks!

We then made our way back to Tresta. We struggled to find a parking space...

Not quite Mainland!

The TO was still tucked away...


We had a drive around the area and found a few Slavonian Grebes, which was nice. Also had to get the obligatory pic...


Mark then drove me back to Lerwick and we said our goodbyes. Time for celebration Cheesecake...


After a pleasant stroll through Lerwick...


...I boarded the Ferry around 6pm and headed for my cabin. Yes, the journey back was going to be FAR more pleasant... and it was. I had a late breakfast on a stationary boat and boarded my train at 9.52.

Job done. All's well that...

I'll post a few pics when I get back...


No comments: