Tuesday 19 March 2019

Green Woodpecker - Spurn MEGA!!!

Had an early walk down to Old Hive on a lovely Spring morning...


He loved it...as per usual...


On our return he managed to flush a solitary Snipe (P.79, H.38).E

News broke around noon of a Green Woodpecker at Spurn. A potential addition to my list!

As I arrived at Kilnsea I could see the odd Birder around but no real focus was evident, so I made my way down towards the Blue Bell. I spotted Steve Exley. He'd been looking for it to no avail. We had a decent chat about ailments and trips and then I continued to the Blue Bell.

Where to look?

Telegraph Poles, Kew, Churchyard...

How about on the ground? I turned towards the Visitor Centre and noticed a small area of ploughed field. Why not. At least I could scan the field.

Yep...this is another of those potential smart-arse moments.

As I was approaching a decent sized bird was flying low in an undulating manner to a lone tree!!! This was the first of a few fortunate moments this afternoon...



306 for Spurn
There it was! Rather chuffed to connect with this Spurn rarity and especially pleased to re-find it. I put the news out and Steve appeared shortly after but the bird had flown. As far as I'm aware it wasn't seen again. Lucky!!

As we were searching for it a Short-eared Owl (S.40) flew across the road and landed on a nearby post...


Always good value, it's an Owl after all!

Flushed with this success I has a look behind the Gas Terminal on my way back. I figured the Black Redstart had moved on but you never know so I headed south along the path. I reached the end and sat on the bench for a while. No BR BUT...

Wheatear (P.80, S.41)
Always nice to see my first...and apparently, the first of the year for Spurn. Things were going well.

I returned home for Bud and took him for his stretch down the bottom of the hill (south of the Village) before it got dark. Fortunately, I still had my camera with me. Another SEO (H.39) was quartering the fields to the west...


Really pleased to see this in the Village. Then, incredibly a ring-tail Hen Harrier shot North low over the fields...


The light had gone but you get the idea.

What a marvellous afternoon!!!

No comments: