Sunday 28 October 2018

Sea State

I persevere!

The winds are still favourable for watching the sea, so I set my stall out again at the Sewage and watched. It was a bit fresh but I was wrapped up well and used the V70 as a shield.

I wasn't "blown away" with my first session tally. I did enjoy a decent passage of Eiders north and there was a steady stream of Kittiwakes, also north.

There was also a large flock of Starlings (c100) feeding nearby. More on that later.

After a visit to Tesco I returned to move spot. Better this time.

I finally managed to add Little Auk (163) to my Holmpton list. A group of 6 flew North at 11.30. They were inside the yellow buoy giving clear if brief views in the heavy swell.

Shortly after a Pomarine Skua flew North even closer, giving clear views of the "spoons'. That's better.

Telephone number totals were coming in from elsewhere plus a few rarities. Genuinely pleased for one and all. I'm just happy chugging along locally. At least I'm in the game.

For me there comes a distance when the view is...less than satisfactory. The yellow buoy is such a marker.

I got a call off Phil (who was at Spurn) to inform me an Arctic Redpoll had been caught at Church Field. I did have a drive down mid-afternoon but it was rather...busy, so I didn't linger.

I returned to the sewage for the last hour but nothing further of note was observed.

I guess we all like a special bird, whether it be a MEGA, Patch, some other general record or just a bird to enjoy. We take a lot of species for granted. A couple of which have to be Blackbird and Starling. However when these two species are observed on migration the spectacle can be truly remarkable. Today was such a day. I have personally never seen as many Starlings. They were scattered in their thousands all along the coast between Kilnsea and Withernsea...


As I drove out of the Village this morning I counted 25 Blackbirds...


No comments: